• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

45 more Rj's for Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just talked to a friend of mine at coex and he said that Expressjet is bidding as well.

Fins,

You seem to leave out some cold hard facts too. Sure, our 777 rate is a lot higher than AA's or UA's, but we only have 8 of them. AA has more than 30 777s, and UA has close to 50 I believe. If you are lucky enough to hold the 777 at Delta, then you really must be very senior. Most guys at Delta will never hold it. Also, comparing us to AA or UA is not really accurate, since we did not lose planes on 9-11, were not affected by SARS, and did not buy a near bankrupt airline (TWA) that gave us even more debt. I think NW 747-400 Capts are paid as much as our 777 guys, and they have many more 747s, and they also have debt problems I believe. (They have not been having losing quarters lately because they are not setting up their own LCC, yet)

Delta has stated that they don't have a lot of extra money to be buying new planes (hey, they just gave away 11 of our 738 orders), and the reason they do not drop your new RJ orders is because they would have to pay large penalties. So, what I was trying to say was, "Do not fall into their tricks." I was actually trying to help. I believe they will go to somebody who has cash on them, not you guys. But, they will still ask you for cuts, and I stated, "Do not fall for their tricks...." Read it again. And, how is our MEC killing the Golden Goose? They have people looking at the books, and know exactly what Delta NEEDS, not what they want. We will help them, but not get TAKEN in the process. We know we have the most to lose, and they are watching it closely.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Who can really bid for the contract?

higherflyer said:
The proposal is for 50 seaters for delivery in 2005 and 2006. The current DCI carriers and a few others (XJET, Pinnacle, Horizon, ...?) are bidding for them with proposals due in Atlanta by the middle of the month and with a decision by the end of the year.

Question for those familar with the currently non-DCI carriers (Coex, Pinnacle, heck, maybe even Mesa, etc) that are supposedly bidding for this 45 frame deal...do any of the solicited companies (aside from Wexford/Chit) even have the resources available to open up contract ops for DCI? In particular, are there available CRJ or ERJ aircraft (either existing acft or delivery slots)that would be contractually permitted to fly for a carrier other than your primary mainline partner. This may help clear up who in fact can realistically bid for this contract other than OH or EV.

This of course is irrelavent if in fact DCI attempts to screw over OH and EV by dangling the "45 jets for pay concessions" carrot. No thanks, pass on this one and just take the 15 jets a year that are coming anyways.

Regards

Question for those familar with the currently non-DCI carriers (Coex, Pinnacle, heck, maybe even Mesa, etc) that are supposedly bidding for this 45 frame deal...do any of the solicited companies (aside from Wexford/Chit) even have the resources available to open up contract ops for DCI? In particular, are there available CRJ or ERJ aircraft (either existing acft or delivery slots)that would be contractually permitted to fly for a carrier other than your primary mainline partner. This may help clear up who in fact can realistically bid for this contract other than OH or EV.

Per the new Pinnacle air service agreement with NW Airlines our corporate officers can begin planning and start new service agreements at any time. New service has to be operated outside of the Northwest Airlink agreement but can cross utilize routine corporate functions like IS, SOC, and training departments. Aircraft have to seat less than 60 passengers and cannot exceed 70,000 lbs. We also cannot provide service to or from NW domestic hub airports.

Per the new Pinnacle air service agreement with NW Airlines our corporate officers can begin planning and start new service agreements at any time. New service has to be operated outside of the Northwest Airlink agreement but can cross utilize routine corporate functions like IS, SOC, and training departments. Aircraft have to seat less than 60 passengers and cannot exceed 70,000 lbs. We also cannot provide service to or from NW domestic hub airports.

According to DAL, the 45 CRJ 200's are to be entered into service beginning in 2005. This in accordance with a new financing/purchase agreement between DAL and Bomabardier.

Company memos indicate that in addition to Skywest, ASA, Comair and Chautauqua that Mesa, Mesaba, ExpressJet and Pinnacle are all responding to DAL's RPF to operate these 45 aircraft.

Express can do any flying for any company it chooses to. There is a missunderstanding out there that continental owns the airplanes. In actuality the planes are on a sublease from CAL and as long as express pays for them they can do what ever they please. They are bidding with ERJ.

who said they were CRJ-200's?

i was just wondering where you heard that delta is offering 45 CRJ-200's. i had just read they were offering 45 JETS, no specification. anyone care to elaborate?

pipejockey said:
And WHY is it 62% above industry standard? Are you suggesting that the Delta pilots roll over and let management have their way?
General Lee said:
It won't be ASA or Comair unless they pay for them with paycuts.
It always amazes me how you guys who sit prostrate to the Delta pilots overlook the fact that their MEC is perfectly willing to justify pay cuts for Connection pilots who earn $20,000 a year... Restoring this profession... Whatever, ALPA is about maintaining the pay and privilege of a very few favored pilots.

I think it would be smart for Delta pilots to try to save their Company since they have much more at stake than the managers do. A Delta pilot without Delta is worth $20,000 a year. Leo Mullins without Delta was worth $16,000,000.00

The pure irony is that all the damage being done by ALPA's acquiesence to the "lowest bidder" policy will ultimately be felt by the junior Delta pilots who end up at one of these $20,000 jobs.

Interesting Aticle

Pasted this off of the ASA ALPA site. An individual found it while doing some research.

Delta to confirm CRJ200 orders
Flight International (10Jun03, 278 words)

PAUL LEWIS / WASHINGTON DC

Airline's regional operation expected to firm up delivery positions ahead of United Airlines' 50-seater decision

Delta Air Lines' regional operation Delta Connection is expected to firm up additional orders for Bombardier CRJ200s at the Paris air show. It aims to secure delivery positions for next year, ahead of United Airlines' decision on the number of 50-seaters, either on order or option, its Express regional carriers will take.

It is believed the additional aircraft will go to Atlanta-based Connection carrier Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) rather than than the carrier's Cincinnati-based Comair operation, but the numbers of additional CRJ200s to which Delta will commit is unclear.

Other than 23 CRJ700s scheduled for delivery next year, Delta Connection has no regional jets on order beyond the end of this year, by which time its CRJ200 fleet will have grown to 226 aircraft.

When Delta placed its order in 2000 for 69 CRJ200s and 25 CRJ700s, it took options on another 406 aircraft for delivery by 2010, 362 of which have still to be exercised. These include 27 CRJ200s and five CRJ700 options with delivery positions in 2004, another 68 combined 50- and 70-seaters in 2005 and 63 more in 2006.

For the carrier to maintain regional growth and continue replacing ASA's remaining ATR 72s and Embraer EMB-120 Brasilias, it needs to firm up orders soon to secure deliveries in 2002. United's three United Express feeder carriers, Air Wisconsin, Atlantic Coast Airlines and Skywest, collectively still have orders, reconfirmable orders and options on a large number of 50-seaters for delivery in 2004, but are waiting on the bankruptcy-protected mainline carrier to decide on how many are needed.

Source: Flight International

A few things are intersting. One is that the author implies that the ATR's are going away with the replacement of the jets. I spoke with the ASA ATR PM on Friday and he stated that there were no plans to get rid of them at this time (before I knew of this article). Second, they state ASA as the receivers. I have to wonder about the validity of this article as the numbers for orders and deliveries is way off. So wherever he got his info from, might not be such a great source. Anyway, intersting at best. Additionally, trying to firm up deliveries now would place the build dates ahead of any competition. It would slow down Uniteds plans to increase their RJ fleet. So at least that part sounds plausible. ;)

Latest resources

Back