2004 Hiring at Net Jets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
b757driver said:
Been reading the various posts on possible hiring in the new year & know this is probably a long shot, but......
can anyone PM me the name of the hiring manager/CP who interviews/selects pilots for Netjets for any of the types?
I did write in to "pilot recruitment" earlier this year to be told that they were "done for the year" & yes, I know about the pool of 500 (so what's new?!!).
As any seasoned job hunter already knows, HR/ recruitment are the LAST people you want to send a resume - their purpose in life is to screen you out! It is the person who will most likely be your immediate boss that gets the most action - I know from experience.
So, any ideas out there please?
I have a little corporate experience, having flown the Hawker a few years ago plus I have a 737NG type rating, international experience, solid customer service in two different industries and 7200+ TT. I would have thought a good mix to maybe warrant an interview, if & when NJA starts to hire again.
Thanks in advance for any info on names & addresses (P.S. I have already looked @ the website but it just says "pilot recruitment".

ALH

FAA ATP - B737, B757, B767
IAA ATPL - B737-200, B737-300 thru 737-800
CAA ATPL - B737-200, HS-748
Flown: all of the above plus HS125-700; many SMEL

unless you personally know someone that can walk your resume in, that's the only way to do it.

Thanks guys, I guess achievements/personal merit do not count anymore! By the way, NetJets Europe were advertising in Flight International a few weeks ago. I presume they are a subsidiary company & I might have more chance there. Gee, now you have to go overseas to get a job!

By the way, the HS748 was also known as an Avro and was the British equivalent of a Convair 580. The Queen's Flight used to operate the military version - the Andover until they got a BAe-146. My first airline had a fleet of them, including cargo versions and I have over 500 hours on them. Great workhorse but past its time. You might still find a few cargo versions up in Canada.

About 12 yeras ago I had fun ferry one from London Gatwick to the Great Lakes area of Canada with stopovers in Shetland Isles, Reykavik, Sonderstrom Fjord & Iqualuit!

great news

This is a positive bit of news. I was told by a manager that they are looking at starting interviews this Nov. or Dec. if approved. That is what they want to do but, they are waiting on final approval. I was also told that they sent out update cards to people and that only about 50% replied. Those that replied will be used as the pool to interview from. I do not think that it is 500 though... Hang in there! I am! I am thrilled to be an applicant! Take care and keep the lines of communication open!

Good day!

abenaki said:
Word is that due to 91k, the company will have to hire upwards of 450 to cover the new rest/duty requirements. IF sales get back ontrack, that figure could conceivably go higher, I suppose......

Not sure where that is coming from. I was at company recurrent last month. The Chief Pilot said they were projecting hiring 150 next year. He said nothing about 91k increasing the need for pilots, and 91k impacts were definately discussed. Also, by current staffing policies, we are still 250+ pilots overstrength.

If you think about it, the only major impact of 91k is in the duty/rest requirements is in reserve duty. In other words, any time we are on standby, it has to be for a specific 14 hour period. Does it limit their options for calling people off standby? Yes. But how much? Would it be worth the cost of significantly increasing the number of pilots? At current pay levels maybe, but when the contract is completed and pay levels go up, it probably won't be cost effective. (Yes, it seems to me like the contract will pass when Osama and Sadam convert to Judaism, but it will happen eventually.)

Bottom line, I think hiring 450 next year is grossly wishful thinking.

Interesting, Bart.....

1) When I was in recurrent in May, we were, according to the CP, 150 over-staffed.....Now, 5 months later with no hiring between then and now and not an insignificant number of pilots who have resigned, we are TWO-HUNDRED AND FIFTY over-staffed.......Huh?

My question remains....NJA can't forecast hiring needs better than within 150-250 pilots? Say what? I think the person who "over-staffed" NJA by 150-250 should be fired......

Gee, could this be management speak during contract negotiations to spread dis-information and fear? Personally, I don't know the CP except for his visits to recurrent every year so I have no real basis for an opinion of him, but there are many veterans here who think little of him and have zero respect for him.

2) It's my understanding that due to the 91k duty and rest requirements that there will have to be more crews to cover those issues that will be brought up.....The specific dynamics of it all, I don't have a handle on. But, if duty and rest periods become more well defined, then crews can't be on perpetual standby so I think there will have to be more crews to cover the gaps that will be created by the new requirements....

I think you also have to keep in mind that 91k will not just apply to NJA but all the fracs thereby leveling the playing field.....everyone is going to have to play by the same set of rules, so I suppose that the cost issues become irrelevant in terms of the competitive angle though it is certain that crewing costs will rise, but they will rise in proportion to the other operators.....

And they aren't asking for updated applications for the fun of it.....So, who knows? Just have to wait and see.....

You take care out there!

GRIZ -- thanks -- update?

Griz,

I am one of the ones in the pool waiting on an interview and have been contacted for an update on the application that was submitted just over a year ago by a buddy of mine that is a NJA Capt. I was also told that NJA was possibly going to start interviewing in the late fall of this year -- around November / December. So, hey, it would be great to hear what you are told in company rec. Take care and thanks for keeping us all up to date.

Regards!

abenaki said:
Interesting, Bart.....

1) When I was in recurrent in May, we were, according to the CP, 150 over-staffed.....Now, 5 months later with no hiring between then and now and not an insignificant number of pilots who have resigned, we are TWO-HUNDRED AND FIFTY over-staffed.......Huh?

2) It's my understanding that due to the 91k duty and rest requirements that there will have to be more crews to cover those issues that will be brought up.....

Here's part of the discrepency. Not being one to take what they say at face value, I do a little digging. The normal staffing guidelines are 4.5 pilots per aircraft. I have been given this figure by more than one management type at different times. At recurrent, I asked the question..."how many aircraft does NJA have?" The answer from the CP was 306.

Liking my math to be simple, I round the manning up to 5 pilots per aircraft. 5 X 306 = 1530. The last seniority list had something like 1825 pilots. Take off 50 for management, and you get 1775. 1775 - 1530 = 245 (OK, I was 5 off, but that was based on an earlier seniority list).

The overstrength has been in existance in varying degrees for about two years. In my humble and worthless opinion it exists because the company does not plan effectively, shoots from the hip, and thus misses the mark 9 times out of 10.

As far as 91k goes, I can remember when management was spreading doom and gloom about 7&7 geometrically increasing the need for pilots. (I believe that was when we were negotiating the permanent 7&7 language.) Whereas there was a small increase in need, the math just did not support their case. I think we have a similar case here, and I discount most of it, especially during negotiations.

Yes we have some flights going at odd times, but the majority of them occur at relatively normal times during the day. I just don't the 91k rest rules causing a massive impact.

bartpearl said:
I just don't the 91k rest rules causing a massive impact.

I agree with you that 91k won't cause a "massive" impact, but it will cause some additional hiring perhaps an extra .5 crews per plane. Who knows. 91k reduces the company's flexibility. Remember how valuable flexibility is to them. They want us to work 8/6.

Latest resources

Back