• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

1261 days to go!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is that the implementation of 60 screwed a few. The implementation of 65 screwed thousands!

Please don't forget, the age-60 rule screwed many thousands of pilots over the years too. Yes, you're also right that the age-65 rule screwed thousands recently. Basically, the problem started with a rule based on a lie and the result was much hurt and harm on both the implementation and the correction.

The age-65 rule was clearly in the works for several years before it's "overnight" change. Remember the rule changed in Europe and the rest of the world by the ICAO change that was effective in December 2006.

I suggest we turn this thread to post whenever any pilot retires. Post when someone retires from your airline.

Those that were in their 30's got 5 years of low pay, stagnation, and possible furloughs. That is where the problem lies!

Save your breath, the fossils don't have enough brain cells left to wrap their feeble minds around that simple fact.

Really? THIS thread went 24 hours without a post?

What a sad state of affairs for the GeezerMeter....

You are right that everyone got 5 potential years added to their career, but UF, what you fail to acknowledge is which 5 years were added. Those that were 55+ got an additional 5 premium pay years. Those that were in their 30's got 5 years of low pay, stagnation, and possible furloughs. That is where the problem lies!

You'll never, ever get that geezer to admit what you just said.

right that is pure greed on the the "get out of my seat" crowd

See, that is another area that you are incorrect on. I am not even an airline pilot. I am the most senior line pilot at my company, and I am not waiting on anyone to get out of my seat.

I have just seen the horrible stagnation that this overnight implementation of age 65 has caused to the entire aviation industry. I am aware that occasionally adjustments to rules need to be made, but this one could not have been handled any worse than it was handled.

I have just seen the horrible stagnation that this overnight implementation of age 65 has caused to the entire aviation industry. I am aware that occasionally adjustments to rules need to be made, but this one could not have been handled any worse than it was handled.

So the question becomes, "WHY was it handled that way?" I don't have time to go into that right now, but I'd be happy to in a day or so. Prelims for Christmas, you know?

The short answer is: It didn't come about overnight. Sentient beings who were not self-deluding themselves knew it was pretty much a done deal for 6-12 months. As for implementation, the guys pushing for change tried more than one iteration of bill language and implementation but ALPA fought them all until the one that won was the simplest - simple change, few restrictions or provisions, just "65. Passed. In effect." ALPA's intransigance backfired.

But more on that later.

Oh, and don't forget that the recession - the worst since the Great Depression - had a great deal to do with stagnation. You cannot discuss this issue without addressing that. Really.

Well, you guys kind of brought it on yourselves with you uncool derogatory comments about older (senior, experienced?) pilots. So they pushed back.

It appears clear to me that it is no more than a group of pilots who patiently waited for their chance are happy/relieved that things will now get moving again. You see it the way you do because you still feel you're a victim and want to lash out at others who will finally get the turn they have earned and deserve.

Oh, and don't forget that the recession - the worst since the Great Depression - had a great deal to do with stagnation. You cannot discuss this issue without addressing that. Really.

Other than a complete lack of character, I can't see how you're able assert this as any kind of rational that would excuse changing the age the way it was, at the time it was. If anything, retirements should have been restarted as soon as the economy really went South. Those with the least took it the worst.

I don't have time to go into that right now, but I'd be happy to in a day or so. Prelims for Christmas, you know?

Being familiar with Christmas myself, I have to ask: Do you know Christmas? Why are you carrying on here like this?! There is no debating the issue. You got the age change and now it is over! Quit trying to rub salt in these guys' wound. You want to be treated like you're "senior and experienced?" Act like it! My God, is it completely out of the realm of possibility that at least ONE of you guys that wanted this change might get on here and have something to say other than a very disingenuous "you're welcome" [Undaunted]?

I literally have not heard a single feel good story come out of this rule change. Not one. I have not heard anything like a sick family member was cared for, a child was adopted, or ANYTHING good. I've heard plenty from the furloughed guys who lost homes, marriages, and who's finances were destroyed.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back