• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Incorrect. First off, any major changes will be fought by the Families of the victims of the Colgan crash. They have been very powerful in creating the new fatigue and hiring rules, and anyone in Congress going against them are committing political suicide. They went up against the very powerful Regional Airline association and won. The victim's families beat the powerful lobbyists.

As far as what happened in Canada, their new law states age 70, but at 65 a pilot cannot sit in the left seat. They have to go to a narrowbody right seat or be a cruise officer (no takeoff or landings) on a Widebody. This was told to me by the Air Canada Montreal Capt rep himself. He said not many senior guys there will take that deal. It preserves upgrades, but slows down hiring. Do you have any idea how that would be handled inside a legacy? Who would figure that out?

Nah, the Regionals will shrink and mainlines will fly smaller mainline jets (717s and 319s) to cities that have seen more frequency with RJs, that will be leaving due to lack of crews. Instead of 5 daily RJ flights, mainline will return with 2-3 717s or A319s.

Throw out your apps people. Go for a legacy or big cargo first, then LCC. Good luck.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Looking forward to the day that you are pulling gear for me in my shiny new 150 seat RJ after Delta folds. You can tell me all about how you were downgraded to the night shift at the refinery before you were finally let go and how you had just finished your Captain IOE on the 717 and your only flight in the left seat was to ferry the last one to the desert to be scrapped.

I'll buy the beer.

I once met a former TWA 767 Captain, he was at the time a furloughed American pilot. He had flown Metros at SkyWest in the 80's, had he stayed he would be in the top 20 or so flying turns, home every night making $150k.

Pan Am is the greatest airline in the world..... or was, back when Delta, United and American were Domestic carriers.

Cheers

Last edited:
Looking forward to the day that you are pulling gear for me in my shiny new 150 seat RJ after Delta folds. You can tell me all about how you were downgraded to the night shift at the refinery before you were finally let go and how you had just finished your Captain IOE on the 717 and your only flight in the left seat was to ferry the last one to the desert to be scrapped.

I'll buy the beer.

I once met a former TWA 767 Captain, he was at the time a furloughed American pilot. He had flown Metros at SkyWest in the 80's, had he stayed he would be in the top 20 or so flying turns, home every night making $150k.

Pan Am is the greatest airline in the world..... or was, back when Delta, United and American were Domestic carriers.

Cheers

Jon, I'd be the last person to defend Gerbil Lee's diatribe, but $150k? How do you come up that, seems a bit of a stretch...

Jon, I'd be the last person to defend Gerbil Lee's diatribe, but $150k? How do you come up that, seems a bit of a stretch...

I did $130 last year on 14th year pay, 975 block. You have to work to make money.

High paying locals on the 900 or stand ups. I know a guy in Chicago who credits 160/ mo. doing stand ups, at least he did before 117.

Sim instructors doing doubles do pretty well.

I'll buy the beer.

Cheers

Oh Jon...... Consolidation has cured the "Pan Am and TWA" days. I will never be your FO, but you may be working for my airline. If I see you on the ramp, I'll make sure I throw you a small Dasani bottle, you look thirsty.

For the rest of you, make the jump and don't listen to the lifers like Jon who don't want to start over and will feed you BS so they have someone junior to them, until they themselves become junior. Look at the facts, 50 seaters leaving, new hiring rules, mainlines recapturing routes. Bye Jon!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I did $130 last year on 14th year pay, 975 block. You have to work to make money.

High paying locals on the 900 or stand ups. I know a guy in Chicago who credits 160/ mo. doing stand ups, at least he did before 117.

Sim instructors doing doubles do pretty well.

That's great Jon. We had a senior A320 FO in ATL make $287K last year via greenslips. That's an FO, and the retirements fund (DC fund) adds 15% of whatever you make in a month to a Fidelity fund, and you don't have to contribute a dime.

Look, your compensation packages are getting smaller, things are getting tighter, planes will be parked, and that's not good for your group. People will start to bail quickly until you are the last one there Jon.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Oh Jon...... Consolidation has cured the "Pan Am and TWA" days. I will never be your FO, but you may be working for my airline. If I see you on the ramp, I'll make sure I throw you a small Dasani bottle, you look thirsty.

For the rest of you, make the jump and don't listen to the lifers like Jon who don't want to start over and will feed you BS so they have someone junior to them, until they themselves become junior. Look at the facts, 50 seaters leaving, new hiring rules, mainlines recapturing routes. Bye Jon!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I believe you will never be Jon's FO...you have to be a pilot first before you can become an FO. Which you are not. Bye Genital!

That's great Jon. We had a senior A320 FO in ATL make $287K last year via greenslips. That's an FO, and the retirements fund (DC fund) adds 15% of whatever you make in a month to a Fidelity fund, and you don't have to contribute a dime.

Look, your compensation packages are getting smaller, things are getting tighter, planes will be parked, and that's not good for your group. People will start to bail quickly until you are the last one there Jon.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yeah, and two thirds of it goes to his ex wife in child support and alimony. I fly six hour duty days and am home every night.

Please, get the walk around done before you get comfortable up front. I really do hate it when you find a problem after we are all boarded.

Bye bye!!!

Not at SkyWest. If he was in the top 20 and wants to work $120K is easy.. Sim guys are well north of $150...

Cheers

I'll never forget the Mesaba F/O who told me something to the effect, "I'm glad I'm not in your shoes... you'll be flushed in no time" when I started at Compass six years ago.

Yep, I suppose we all know what's best until... well, until we don't.

Prescience and imprudence are only divided by outcomes (and a bit of luck) in this business.

Cheers

Just before TWA went away, I had a gentleman in my jumpseat out of STL. He went from a 767 CA to reserve Mad Dog FO during the whole AMR mess. I don't recall a lot of the details, but that was the moment I realized what a fricken cruel and ********************ed up industry this is. So much of your career is dependent on dumb luck.

Latest resources

Back