• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stop extending Nja brothers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since about 4 years ago we had this very same ....discussion we'll call it....over the contractual rights. Etc.... I'll try to head of any hand grenades coming your way..

There is contractual and there is the " unwritten rule".. Those that didn't get beat up in high school, or actually competed in team sports, understand the idea of teammates, or " brothers" ( I use the term loosely).

You are correct that the 18 day guys, who are the guys who most likely need the extra $$, should not be expected to reduce their usual income because of a furlough ( although anyone who does opt out is helping, and I'm sure it is appreciated)... I know guys on the 18 day personally, and I would never expect a guy with 2 kids and a stay at home mom to survive on the 7/7...

. the extended day issue is a whole other ball of wax. It is guys covering for the shortcomings of management, gaining extra $$ above their pay grade, and possibly averting selloffs which are somewhat vital to facilitating a recall. Exactly the same as airline guys picking open time.. ( I'm an airline guy so anyone who tells me different is wrong). Someone who extends is profiting while others are suffering... If an extender needs to make extra cash, bid a different schedule.. Period

That's 98 extended duty days in the month of August. That may include several days for one pilot during his/her tour, such as GLC pilots. Let's use a the number of 1200 pilots on duty every day of the month. That's 36,000 total duty days. The extended days amount to 0.27% of the total duty days in any given month. Yea, 98 looks like a big number by itself, but broken down the total number of duty days involved sheds a different light, don't you think?

Personally I won't extend, but exercising one's contractual right is not something I will judge. For example, one of our pilots is trying to deal with a family member with stage 4 prostate cancer. That person may well extend when possible to deal with the costs beyond insurance benefits. Are all for a valid reason such as this example? Heck no, but I don't know so will not judge. Be PO'd at the EMT for their practice of divide and conquer. Doubt their effectiveness? Just go to the majors board and watch those guys rip each other apart.

Good gouge there Pervis. As I posted earlier I haven't seen anyone extending and a vocal majority against it. it's a small percentage as you proved that are doing this and I think it's safe to say we need to stop this kind of witch hunt. It didn't work last time and it wont do anything this go round.

Good gouge there Pervis. As I posted earlier I haven't seen anyone extending and a vocal majority against it. it's a small percentage as you proved that are doing this and I think it's safe to say we need to stop this kind of witch hunt. It didn't work last time and it wont do anything this go round.

The actual percentage seems small until you consider that every single extended day helps prevent the company from subcontracting flights to other companies and pilots.

The percentage is actually smaller. Those on the original NJI scales don't get after midnight compensation. They get an extended day that is accumulated at the end of each quarter. So those stuck in Moscow on day 6 and get two or three days of airlining are listed on the duty summary as extended days when in fact they were not voluntary at all. More than half of the 98 days in Aug were GLC type. While not all are old scale pilots, it does reduce the voluntary numbers even more.

The percentage is actually smaller. Those on the original NJI scales don't get after midnight compensation. They get an extended day that is accumulated at the end of each quarter. So those stuck in Moscow on day 6 and get two or three days of airlining are listed on the duty summary as extended days when in fact they were not voluntary at all. More than half of the 98 days in Aug were GLC type. While not all are old scale pilots, it does reduce the voluntary numbers even more.

Absolutely correct. A few months ago, I was in Europe and was asked to extend. Ah, tempting, but, NO. My airline home exceeded 18 hours of duty time. Because I am still on the NJI pay scale, I received one day's extra pay and it was coded as an extended day.

There's always more to the story.

I just did my part by rejecting an extended day. This was my first offer on at least five years. We are already at one day of sell offs for the quarter. They will be begging hard for extensions for the next six months. I have a feeling they will just start intentionally doing after midnights on a much more regular basis to get full day sevens of flying without even pretending to try to get us home. This has been on a small uptick already.

I just did my part by rejecting an extended day. This was my first offer on at least five years. We are already at one day of sell offs for the quarter. They will be begging hard for extensions for the next six months. I have a feeling they will just start intentionally doing after midnights on a much more regular basis to get full day sevens of flying without even pretending to try to get us home. This has been on a small uptick already.

Thank you very much for doing that!

What fleet are you on?

Latest resources

Back