• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New AGE limit discussion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yip, just because ALPA fought it doesn't mean that age 60 wasn't there for safety reasons. I read quite a few of the medical committee reports; they went through a LOT of data in order to come up with their recommendation. To say that this was merely a backroom deal is insulting to that board of medical professionals who arrived at that decision.

As far as CR wanting to get rid of higher paid pilots ... I've also read that we've got the UFO from the Roswell incident in a hangar at Wright Patt. Just because you or I read something doesn't make it true.
But it was written by a pilot who lost his job because of age 60, so how could it be untrue. Why that would be like saying things posted on FI might be untrue. How could we exist in such a world? BTW I have seen the UFO, it is not a Wright Pat, it is in New Mexico, down near Roswell.:laugh:

But it was written by a pilot who lost his job because of age 60, so how could it be untrue. Why that would be like saying things posted on FI might be untrue. How could we exist in such a world? BTW I have seen the UFO, it is not a Wright Pat, it is in New Mexico, down near Roswell.:laugh:

The irony is that the guy who stated it was a backroom deal had links to some of the medical boards that were conducted. This led me to read other transcripts and notes from members of the board. They went through a long grind to arrive at age 60. It was actually the most liberal policy of all of the proposals.
They seriously considered age 55 and limiting entry into jet aircraft to a much lower age; something like 30. I don't remember the exact age restriction they considered for jets because I'm getting old and I forget some stuff nowadays ...

The timing of age 65 really couldn't have been worse for many people. Many people trying to get a foothold in the industry and feed their families. Of course I also understand, conceptually anyway, what some of the guys went through getting the rug pulled out from under them pay and pensionwise. I'd argue that the former had a tougher row to hoe than the latter, but that's neither here nor there, and we could argue for a hundred years about it.

At any right, throwing all the bs aside, I'm really not opposed to 65, I do think 60 was a little young to toss perfectly good and capable people. Much beyond that though, that's starting to push it, a line does have to be drawn somewhere. Many talk about more stringent medical standards in lieu of an age, but does anyone really see that anytime soon? I think 65 is a sweet spot, we should just leave it that way.

Last edited:
Back when the max age was 60, many claimed that they were going at 57 or thereabouts. Didn't happen (at least, not until lump sums were in jeopardy). When the papers are right in front of you, the pen suddenly weighs a hundred pounds. It's human nature to put off a decision that, once made, cannot be reconsidered.

I think that is very true, and very understandable. At my airline we have had a few pull the plug at 62 or 63, I'm counting 4 of them in my head right now. In about 1999 or so, we had one guy pull the plug at 57, I remember that well. And this fellow never had a pension or high pay, having always worked for the 'cheapest outfits' in his words. I do remember flying with him, he was just a very positive person, his glass was always full.

We've had quite a few 60+ guys die both on and off the job over the past couple of years (none in the cockpit, while on the layover). Most of these guys had plenty of money but wanted to milk the job for all they could. Now they're 6 feet under.

You can't take it with you, folks. Retirement is suppose to be a phase of life to be enjoyed. This whole working till your dead thing. How stupid is that? Get a life or hobby outside the airline. Life is much more enjoyable that way.

I like flying planes. But I like a lot of other things more because I've been flying planes for over 20 years now. The world is awesome, there are so many other things going on to merely focus on something as one's career.

I'm still planning on going out at 60. Hope my forecast holds

Please walk us through your scenario where you see it differently. The legislation was bottled up in subcommittee by Rep Mica. ALPA had Rep Mica release it from subcommittee on 5 Dec 2007. Bush signed it into law on 14 Dec 2007 after passing both the House and Senate. If that's not 'dead of the night' in Washington lawmaking terms, let me know how you define 'dead of the night'.

Andy. Back home and feeling tired, so cruising Google and doing a little research is the order of the day. Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

"Shoved through in the dead of night" is not at all the way the final legislative action happened. Even adopting your amended description, "in Washington terms", does not make the legislation qualify for being shoved through or moved through in the dead of night.

First of all, Rep Mica is a Republican and by 2006 the Democrats were in control of the House. Mica was the leader of the Repub Minority and did not set policy, move logislation, etc.

Rep Oberstar, a man who was a strong ALPA supporter (an ALPA pet, really), ran the Transportation Committee (I shortened its long and unwieldy name) and Rep DeFazio, another Dem, ran the Aviation Subcommittee.

Legislation had been in play for years before the final cards were played on 60 in December '07. In early 2007 (110th Congress) H.R. 1125 replaced the prior H.R. 65. The language for these and other versions of legislation was amended roughly every two years when a new Congress was sworn into session. Each version narrowed the scope of the change down. For example, earlier versions would have set no retirement age at all. Another tried to link retirement to Social Security. Finally SWAPA's lobbyist, in concurrence with APAAD, authored very simple language that posed the fewest hurdles to passage and understanding - amend the age to 65.

At the close of 2006 H.R. 65 had something on the order of 100 co-sponsors. S. 65 in the Senate had 25. This is not the dead of night. This is APAAD and SWAPA relentlessly moving forward against ALPA's opposition.

In the Fall of 2006 the FAA held its Age 60 Aviation Rulemaking Committee. SWAPA, APAAD, SWA and Jet Blue dug in against the ALPA and APA majority. From all accounts they beat ALPA and APA soundly, which was reflected in their pro change report and later solidified by the FAA's adoption of an age change from 60 to 65.

In early 2007, when the 110th Congress was sworn in, H.R. 1125 and a new version of S. 65, were in play. SWAPA's lobbyist (Jay Keese) worked his skills at the leadership levels and APAAD (Emens) did the grassroots foot work. At their peak they were running monthly ads in the congressional newspapers and were putting 50 pilots every other month into the halls of Congress.

What ALPA never said to its membership is that it was getting buried in those congressional hallways. Oberstar and other ALPA supporters let ALPA know that it needed to get in the game if it wanted to voice in what the change would look like. This is big. ALPA was told the plane was pushing back from the jetway without them. That's why it was put on the agenda at the big ALPA confab in May (?) 2007 and why it passed. It was play or pay. ALPA voted to play.

Oberstar then obligingly gave ALPA exactly what it wanted in change language and then he sat on it for 6 months or so.

SWAPA/APAAD, however, were increasing the pressure by testifying before Congress, ramping up pilots in the halls, and piling up more and more co-sponsors, many being big-name Democrat leaders. Oberstar was like a guy with his finger in a dike. Sooner or later than water was coming through, with a lot of force.

When Oberstar finally moved to pass age change legislation, he did it like the professional politician he was - he took the new language, gave it a new number (H.R. 4343) and a new name (Fair Treatment, blah, blah, blah) then moved it to a vote and passed it. The Senate did the same. He waited as long as he could (to December).

Was THIS what you consider "in the dead of night"? If so, you missed or misunderstood the dynamics in play in Washington. By May of 2007 ALPA had caved; the pro change guys had amassed 315 co-sponsors for H.R. 1125 and it passed 390-0. On the Senate side S.65 they had 52 co sponsors. The final vote was unanimous. This kind of thing doesn't happen too often in Washington. It took a lot of work, time and money to make it happen.

If anyone was thinking none of the above mattered then they simply weren't paying attention or, more likely, read the tea leaves as saying what they wanted to hear rather the reality of what was taking place.

You can find all sorts of stuff on the web. Thomas.gov tracks legislation. The final ARC report can be found at http://www.age60rule.com/docs/Final ARC Report.pdf
The ALPA news release is at http://www.age60rule.com/docs/2007 ALPA News Release.pdf

As you go about helping Mom and prepping your threatened retaliation at my earlier "cut the crap" comment, just so we're clear--this is the "crap" I was talking about. If it looks like crap, smells like crap, and tastes like crap, It's crap! Of course it was shoved through in the middle of the night!! This behavior of yours (not owning up to the facts of the matter) is what I was talking about.

So for planning purposes, don't go off on some tangent if you plan on following thru.

You are more than a tad overwrought. You are also exceedingly rude.
Generally speaking, I tend not to waste my time on people who are rude, swear at me, etc. As I did raising my kids, I don't reward bad behavior.

That said, you can read what I wrote to Andy regarding the "dead of night", etc. He tends to be polite and rational.

Does anyone foresee another dead of the night operation to 67, 70, or no age limit?

Nope.

First of all, it wasn't the dead of night. It took a lot of time, money and effort.

Second, there is no organized group pushing for change.

Thirdly, Congress and the FAA won't re-address the issue so soon.

Fourth, I'd say guys like many on this forum will themselves be more organized the next time around. At least you should be. Or maybe twenty years in the future it will be you guys pushing for change to 67 or higher! Time will tell.

Laker, Mica had the bill sitting in subommittee. A bill has to go to subcommittee where it's marked up prior to being released to committee.
In this case, Mica was ranking member in the Aviation Subcommittee where he could and did block the bill, as per House rules.
What Mica was doing in the Aviation Subcommittee was that he blocked any action on the bill to get it out of Subcommittee. http://www.lexisnexis.com/help/CU/The_Legislative_Process/Stage_3.htm

How do I know Mica was the one blocking it? Inside sources.

Latest resources

Back