• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways attending Aero Crew Solutions Job Fair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
US is my choice only because I live near PHL and can take the train to the airport. That said; I understand the premise that if anyone (within a union) is to get furloughed it to be the highest number or in this case the 3rd listers. Now saying that the 2 list ( west and east) get combined then the 3rd why would anyone be furloughed?
If you prefer to PM me with a logical answer and not that either side is poopoo head. Please do. I don’t care what side is what, I just want a paycheck.

In the near future (there is nothing else in the airline industry), as long as the operation remains separate you will not get furloughed. Both sides are at min fleet and as noted hiring is because of attrition. The company is profitable, and despite many setbacks and annoyances you may be surprised to find US is more profitable on a per aircraft basis than many of its competitors. Do your own financial research, as most on this board is worthless or cherry picked to "prove" a point. Don't confuse the past 10-15 years with prospects for the next decade or more.

The most likely scenario is you will be hired into CLT or DCA unless you get the 190 (PHL is more senior on the other aircraft). There is no hiring for PHX. The 190 in PHL is not a certainty because at least 1/2 of the guys on it prefer the aircraft or base and are not going anywhere. Given the need of 25+ pilots indefinitely, you will progress fast and get PHL on the Bus or 737 if that's what you want. Regardless of aircraft, you will get a PIC type.

The subject of a 3rd seniority list is misleading. You will be hired and placed on the east seniority list. Obviously, if you were hired into PHX you would be on the west seniority list. There is no 3rd list: those hired after the merger are in any scenario assumed to be ultimately placed after those on the other two lists, and this will probably happen.

But until/if/when this happens you will be an east pilot. Should the company reorganize with another carrier (not throwing any grenades here -- just stating facts as I understand them), you will go with the pilots on your respective seniority list, as there is no finalized integrated signed single contract as of today. Some people believe a merger is in the cards; others adamantly disagree. Study the CEO's recent corporate and personal history and decide for yourself. Having said all that, I personally believe a merger is in the cards for the whole airline, not just a fraction, and that everyone will ultimately be combined on a single list.

In the near future (there is nothing else in the airline industry), as long as the operation remains separate you will not get furloughed. Both sides are at min fleet and as noted hiring is because of attrition. The company is profitable, and despite many setbacks and annoyances you may be surprised to find US is more profitable on a per aircraft basis than many of its competitors. Do your own financial research, as most on this board is worthless or cherry picked to "prove" a point. Don't confuse the past 10-15 years with prospects for the next decade or more.

The most likely scenario is you will be hired into CLT or DCA unless you get the 190 (PHL is more senior on the other aircraft). There is no hiring for PHX. The 190 in PHL is not a certainty because at least 1/2 of the guys on it prefer the aircraft or base and are not going anywhere. Given the need of 25+ pilots indefinitely, you will progress fast and get PHL on the Bus or 737 if that's what you want. Regardless of aircraft, you will get a PIC type.

The subject of a 3rd seniority list is misleading. You will be hired and placed on the east seniority list. Obviously, if you were hired into PHX you would be on the west seniority list. There is no 3rd list: those hired after the merger are in any scenario assumed to be ultimately placed after those on the other two lists, and this will probably happen.

But until/if/when this happens you will be an east pilot. Should the company reorganize with another carrier (not throwing any grenades here -- just stating facts as I understand them), you will go with the pilots on your respective seniority list, as there is no finalized integrated signed single contract as of today. Some people believe a merger is in the cards; others adamantly disagree. Study the CEO's recent corporate and personal history and decide for yourself. Having said all that, I personally believe a merger is in the cards for the whole airline, not just a fraction, and that everyone will ultimately be combined on a single list.

There is only one list. The Nicolau award. It might not be implemented yet, but it will be the list in any combination. Even if there is a merger, the Nicolau award will be the list used in the new integration. The sooner you realize that, the sooner you get off LOA 93.

I would like to start off saying that this is not flame bait, but strictly an outsider looking in. I’m a 135 guy looking to get out. US is my choice only because I live near PHL and can take the train to the airport. That said; I understand the premise that if anyone (within a union) is to get furloughed it to be the highest number or in this case the 3rd listers. Now saying that the 2 list ( west and east) get combined then the 3rd why would anyone be furloughed? The way I see it is US is hiring on a need, so even after the lists are combined there are planes to be flown unless of course there are west guys out on furlough. Again I am not up on the 121 side of things so I don’t know the ins and outs.
If you prefer to PM me with a logical answer and not that either side is poopoo head. Please do. I don’t care what side is what, I just want a paycheck.

For someone wanting to live in PHL or anywhere in the NE I'd say go for it. We have a decent management team and are making money. The company seems right sized for continuing as a stand alone. While US needs PHX(west base) I don't see any growth out here, if anything probably some shrinkage once a joint contract is formed due to scheduling efficiency. With the usual disclaimers I'd say US is well positioned to survive. Good luck.

Somewhat of a silly question but I'm filling out the application and this question came up. I haven't had any violations or accidents so I should mark? Thanks, I just am double checking.

I hereby certify that I have not had an aircraft accident or aviation violation, which was the subject of investigation by Federal, State or Local Government Agency.

YES
NO

But until/if/when this happens you will be an east pilot. Should the company
reorganize with another carrier (not throwing any grenades here -- just stating facts as I understand them), you will go with the pilots on your respective seniority list, as there is no finalized integrated signed single contract as of today. Some people believe a merger is in the cards; others adamantly disagree. Study the CEO's recent corporate and personal history and decide for yourself. Having said all that, I personally believe a merger is in the cards for the whole airline, not just a fraction, and that everyone will ultimately be combined on a single list.

Any newhires will be placed below everyone else on the Nicalau list. You can't escape it, it was binding. Keep trying to state it's not in your next contract, but it will be. Any merger will also result in USAPA most likely disappearing also.

Godspeed!

The OYSter

You did a pretty good job. Couldn't have said it better myself. F the haters!

I would mostly agree with Taco's summation, right up until he got into the classic East editorialization of what could happen with a merger with another carrier:

"...But until/if/when this happens you will be an east pilot. Should the company reorganize with another carrier (not throwing any grenades here -- just stating facts as I understand them), you will go with the pilots on your respective seniority list, as there is no finalized integrated signed single contract as of today. ..."

That portion is strictly Taco's opinion that has no basis of legal fact. Not hatin'...just sayin'....

When looking at a future career at US, you need to look at what a consolidated airline would look like with no restrictions on fleet minimums (those will be given away by the I Got Mine crowd along with furlough protection, in exchange for enough pay for the contract to pass). Ask specifically how many are retiring early (who would/could when you are 80% of the way to the finish line and they yank your pension?)

I think US hires are only being brought in to cover a temporary shortage. If you're okay with that, then I say "Welcome Aboard" and "It's a damn shame what they're doing to you guys" all in the same sentence.

I may be wrong, but as Cheech and Chong so famously summed it up (edited), "Looks like it, smells like it, tastes like it. Glad we didn't step in it!"

Latest resources

Back