• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways attending Aero Crew Solutions Job Fair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Little Deuce, I hear LCC is getting back 10 190s from Republic. Can you comment on the validity, or lack thereof, of that? Supposedly, they are even painted, lol.

Little Deuce, I hear LCC is getting back 10 190s from Republic. Can you comment on the validity, or lack thereof, of that? Supposedly, they are even painted, lol.

Nope. LCC is not taking them back.

IMHO, All new hires are basically being hired as migrant workers. Once a contract is signed and fleet minimums are shed, they will hit the street, hopefully with the credentials necessary to land a better job. I'd ask about that before quitting the RJ gig.

Bird;
Here's a bunch of things that impact your observation:

• USAPA's leadership AND Constitution must change before a contract with the Nicolau can be proffered. The earliest that can start to happen is April 1, 2012.
  • Once done, it will take at least 6 months minimum to reconstruct a NAC that is capable a qualified to get to the negotiating table with the company.
  • Once final contract negotiations conclude (let's just say the company offers JUST the Kirby...PERIOD). Then we set to ratify a new contract. IMHO there is NO WAY just the Kirby passes muster.
  • It will take 4-5 revisions (basically wages) until a contract has enough $$ to pass a vote.
  • By the provisions in the transition agreement, it will take a year to integrate the fleets / crews.
  • Retirements start 12/2012. There are also pilots that are simply retiring early @ 62-63.
  • Current loads are pretty darn full. Further reductions in capacity will only harm us financially (IMHO).
CB

So, aside from the timeline (which is subject to the NMB parking/resuming) how do you materially disagree with me? The global economy shows no signs of becoming less volatile, and the 3rd list pilots will be the ones to absorb the consequences.

I would like to start off saying that this is not flame bait, but strictly an outsider looking in. I’m a 135 guy looking to get out. US is my choice only because I live near PHL and can take the train to the airport. That said; I understand the premise that if anyone (within a union) is to get furloughed it to be the highest number or in this case the 3rd listers. Now saying that the 2 list ( west and east) get combined then the 3rd why would anyone be furloughed? The way I see it is US is hiring on a need, so even after the lists are combined there are planes to be flown unless of course there are west guys out on furlough. Again I am not up on the 121 side of things so I don’t know the ins and outs.
If you prefer to PM me with a logical answer and not that either side is poopoo head. Please do. I don’t care what side is what, I just want a paycheck.

I would like to start off saying that this is not flame bait, but strictly an outsider looking in. I’m a 135 guy looking to get out. US is my choice only because I live near PHL and can take the train to the airport. That said; I understand the premise that if anyone (within a union) is to get furloughed it to be the highest number or in this case the 3rd listers. Now saying that the 2 list ( west and east) get combined then the 3rd why would anyone be furloughed? The way I see it is US is hiring on a need, so even after the lists are combined there are planes to be flown unless of course there are west guys out on furlough. Again I am not up on the 121 side of things so I don’t know the ins and outs.
If you prefer to PM me with a logical answer and not that either side is poopoo head. Please do. I don’t care what side is what, I just want a paycheck.

I guess that was my point with Bird. We are hiring because of need (not growth). That need will only escalate as time goes by (east and west). I think we are "right" sized now for stand-alone (West is at fleet minimums right now). Any speculation of what happens and when with a joint new contract is just that....speculation. If we merge with anyone, it will take a while for things to shake out as well...all the while more retirements keep happening.

The fact remains that there are no safe jobs anywhere. Given the right set of circumstances and events, and we all join the ranks of the unemployed.

Best of Luck. If we (the majority) can get a hold of our union and actually make it an organization for every pilot here, this could be a great place to work (If we can't, then LOA 93 & separate ops for a LONG TIME....and more easties crying in their beer about what's fair vs. final and binding).

yawn

M

Furlough seems illogical. With the number of retirements coming up on both sides (especially on the PHL side), and the number of times they have been making us fly to 90 or 95 CAPs (80-85 hour lines are normal), then I can't see why a new hire needs to worry about furlough.

I can't predict the future but unless the airline industry shrinks, everywhere is going to need more pilots. Living in base is good. Apply. You can always turn it down if you think it isn't for you after you gather all the facts.

Oh, and if you can, go to law school and be a lawyer instead of a pilot. :D

Wow, that was quick. Guess I need some more ME time:

We are fortunate to have many well-qualified candidates. At this time, we have decided to move forward in the selection process with other candidates whose qualifications and experience fit more closely with the position.

Like to hear what they're looking for.

Latest resources

Back