Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, thanks for the "education." :laugh:

Now, here's some real education:

"Craft and class" is a term in labor law that deals with bargaining units for labor groups. For example, an NMB certification of a union at a particular airline might say something to the effect of "the craft and class of cockpit crew members of XYZ airline," meaning that the union has been certified by the NMB to represent anyone who is a cockpit crew member at that airline (captains, FOs, flight engineers, checkairmen). But, the RLA does not allow two unions to represent the same craft and class, which is different than the law under the NLRA.

So, taking it to the next step. When the NMB certifies a union to represent a craft and class, it is a legal certification that gives that one union the sole rights to negotiate anything at all for that craft and class. You can't go in and negotiate your own separate contract, and likewise, another union can't negotiate something for you. Only the union that is certified by the NMB may negotiate anything for that craft and class.

Therefore, in order for SWAPA to negotiate anything for the AirTran pilots, including longevity, SWAPA has to be certified as our bargaining representative first. And after SWAPA is certified as our bargaining representative, SWAPA has a duty of fair representation (DFR) under the law to us. That DFR obligation prohibits SWAPA from taking any action that would be considered "arbitrary, discriminatory, or in bad faith." So, anything that would serve to single out the AirTran portion of the pilot group for disparate treatment from the rest of the SWAPA membership would be a violation of SWAPA's DFR obligation.

SWAPA has good legal representation, so I'm sure they know better.

You are almost funny! Your lack of imagination in regards to what can happen to you via the latitude afforded SWAPA in the PA is sad. I hope your replacement is better informed!

PLC don't know jack! Better learn how to fly, and quick. You are NO GOOD for us.

PLC don't know jack! Better learn how to fly, and quick. You are NO GOOD for us.

The irony will be when you get your wet dream to upgrade and the only vacancy is on the 717. Since you won't have your hand held buying your type rating this time you will need PCL's help just to start the APU. Good luck, homey, I'm sure the "Undertaker" will be impressed.

I'm not a SWA pilot, but his avatar seems incredibly insulting regarding the current situation.

I still believe that ALPA feels their best interest is for this whole integration to poison Southwest Airlines, whereby harming a non-ALPA carrier. Why would ALPA want this to go smoothly. They do not benefit from it at all. The best thing for them is to drag this out for years (collecting trannie dues) and finally poisoning SWA culture by an unfair integration.

Just my two cents.

You are almost funny! Your lack of imagination in regards to what can happen to you via the latitude afforded SWAPA in the PA is sad.

What is truly sad is that so many airline pilots have virtually no understanding whatsoever of what the key piece of legislation that governs their entire career says. And, even worse, you don't take the time to understand a document that was just negotiated a few months ago by your own union. Not understanding a piece of legislation that is three quarters of a century old is forgivable. Not taking the time to gain an understanding of the very documents to which your own union is a signatory? That's a different story.

PCL

"craft and class" and "category and class" are two very different things. See seem to confuse the two.

I've quit responding to idiotic posts but you have driven me off the couch. Your unbelievable lack of knowledge and insistence that you are right is embarrassing. I can only venture to guess that is why you no longer represent AirTran pilots.

The Process Agreement is a guideline for how the airlines will be integrated, if they are. If you truly believe It forces an integration I'd say you need another bag of whataburgers because your head is full of something other than "smarts."

PCL

"craft and class" and "category and class" are two very different things. See seem to confuse the two.

"Category and class" isn't a term that even exists in labor relations. I think you're thinking of "category and status," which is a term that deals with seniority integration and has been used in virtually every recent arbitration award. It has nothing to do with "craft and class," which is a term used in labor law that you apparently need to brush up on.

I don't need Tranny to Upgrade. I am there, already. :cartman: I'm not bidding the 717, don't need to.

The thought of SWA/FO operating anything more powerful than a weedwhacker is pretty scary.

I hire that $hit out.

"Category and class" isn't a term that even exists in labor relations. I think you're thinking of "category and status," which is a term that deals with seniority integration and has been used in virtually every recent arbitration award. It has nothing to do with "craft and class," which is a term used in labor law that you apparently need to brush up on.

It depends. It may not have existed before but never before has there been such a difference in career expectations either.

SWA has broken ground on many fronts, this SLI will be another. I hope you can be a part of it when it is all over.

Latest resources

Back