Southwest is a PFT'er.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dear b727-
Please don't ever change your avatar and try to be as prolific a poster as general.
Thanks.

Anyone ever explain why SWA wanted the type in the beginning? I'll bet this is the reason. Until an airpline gets certain size the Feds won't allow a company to have DPE to issue types. The Feds have to observe every type rating, if you are small like SWA in the beginning this becomes scheduling nightmare. If a person is already typed a company check airman can give the Ca PC. Started that way and stuck. So why have a Fed when you don't need to? Thoughts?

Pilotyip, you sir are seeing the light. It also reduces the insurance cost. And also alows for the training cost to go way down. Intial training is a class fit for type rated high pic time peeps. Good and efficient.

Fedex is PFA....Pay For Applying.

I mean you DO have to pay to prepare for your FEX written, $150 for the test, and then $75 to apply. And you might even have to get a fresh 1st class medical!

Pricey!

For those of you not playing at home...this is sarcasm.

I call it an investment.

99% of SWA pilots call it an investment because it would not be right to actually say they had to buy their way into a company.

If that is what it takes for some to get hired then so be it...others have options that dont cost to get in the door.

I have yet to hear the justification by the company, that is profitable, to make their employees pay for the type rating....(or have it already).

SWA could type them on the checkride just like United and other major airlines do...and yes it is a PIC type. Very simple to do.

Read "Nuts" contrail- they explain it there and it's been explained here.

Read "Nuts" contrail- they explain it there and it's been explained here.

To keep it simple: If you want to stop SWA making pilots pay for the type then pilots need to stop paying for it until SWA has to hire pilots and drop the requirement...and it probably won't happen because there will always be some sucker to pony up the 5K to get it....sad.

To keep it simple: If you want to stop SWA making pilots pay for the type then pilots need to stop paying for it until SWA has to hire pilots and drop the requirement...and it probably won't happen because there will always be some sucker to pony up the 5K to get it....sad.

So how long ago were you turned down by SWA?

Latest resources

Back