• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL management just said POUND SAND

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Focus on narrow body and wide body flying, 70 seat RJs are not the hill worth dieing on.

First Turbo props, 35 seat jets, 50 seat jets. Now 70 seat jeats, 100 seat jets?

Management will keep trying to raise the limit, they should have been stopped a long time ago. The erosion has to end, the line must be drawn, if not, eventually there will be no hill left!

Last edited:
I've asked this question several times and not gotten an answer.

What happens when you go on strike, and the regional pilots (or even the non-union SKW pilots) refuse to honor the picket line en-masse? Then what? Management replaces you with the cheap regional pilots? Sounds like the end of ALPA to me. ALPA will never call that strike.

I agree that the blatant violation of your contract is unacceptable, but maybe all the groups involved should get together and find a mutual solution. Cooler heads must prevail or we're all screwed.

What happens when you go on strike, and the regional pilots (or even the non-union SKW pilots) refuse to honor the picket line en-masse?

Where are the regionals going to take the passengers, to the hub, then what? No connections onwards for the vast majority of passengers. Besides, I doubt most regional pilots wants to stay at the regionals, they want to move on to better paying jobs, hence, pulling the flying inhouse would work best for them as well.

I have plenty of issues with jetblue, but they are flying the E190's in house, 5th year CA pay of $ 130, compared that to the 190 pay at RAH or USAir. I am quite certain there are plenty of UAL furloughees that would love to come back to work for CAL-UAL flying the 175-190 for $120+, particularily under a new, probably better, contract.

Where are the regionals going to take the passengers, to the hub, then what? No connections onwards for the vast majority of passengers. Besides, I doubt most regional pilots wants to stay at the regionals, they want to move on to better paying jobs, hence, pulling the flying inhouse would work best for them as well.

Better pull your head out of the sand and think outside the box (no pun intended). Strike, and the contract goes out the window. I'd bet those regional pilots like instructordork would LOVE to try on a 76. That's management's wet dream too.

Better pull your head out of the sand and think outside the box (no pun intended). Strike, and the contract goes out the window. I'd bet those regional pilots like instructordork would LOVE to try on a 76. That's management's wet dream too.

I'm not to sure about that (bold statement).

Besides, Strike is the "nuclear option".

Relating in warfare terms, there are so many tactics to employ before the "nuclear option".

The scope infraction disagreement will be settled in the courts. Not on the battle field. We'll save the big battle plans for the JCBA.

Strike, and the contract goes out the window. I'd bet those regional pilots like instructordork would LOVE to try on a 76. That's management's wet dream too.

What good is a contract, if it isn't honored, although I hope, and think, the CAL pilots will prevail.

As for having regional pilots fly 76's, sure they can do that, many have the pilot skills, but in the case of say UAL-CAL going out on strike, I can only imagine how long it would take to replace 15000 pilots.

Last edited:
It seems that both the company and ALPA have agreed to expedited arbitration on the scope issue. Jay Pierce seemed a bit surprised by the company agreeing to it in his email today, but I just learned today by talking with a management pilot that the company is VERY confident in their interpretation of the contract and they think it will go in their favor. He said they are expecting a ruling in the next week or two.

I just learned today by talking with a management pilot that the company is VERY confident in their interpretation of the contract and they think it will go in their favor. He said they are expecting a ruling in the next week or two.

Confidence often is confused with arrogance.

Last edited:
but I just learned today by talking with a management pilot that the company is VERY confident in their interpretation of the contract and they think it will go in their favor.

The reason he is a management pilot is because he swallows on command. What did you think he was going to say? Every one of those guys is cut from the same cloth....they will do ANYTHING to avoid flying.

It seems that both the company and ALPA have agreed to expedited arbitration on the scope issue. Jay Pierce seemed a bit surprised by the company agreeing to it in his email today, but I just learned today by talking with a management pilot that the company is VERY confident in their interpretation of the contract and they think it will go in their favor. He said they are expecting a ruling in the next week or two.

It's because they will have a BIG bag of cash for the arbitrator!!

Latest resources

Back