• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big Emirates question????????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
And remember that the people with you in the sim want you to do well, and will help you all they can.

I realize that the people on Pprune tend to be complete cry babies most of the time, but I just read that EK just altered some of its commutable lines (or something similar to that). Is that true? Evidently the chief pilot sent an email describing the situation and many of the Ppruners were upset (not surprising).

What's the story and does that make EK less appealing to applicants?

I realize that the people on Pprune tend to be complete cry babies most of the time, but I just read that EK just altered some of its commutable lines (or something similar to that). Is that true? Evidently the chief pilot sent an email describing the situation and many of the Ppruners were upset (not surprising).

What's the story and does that make EK less appealing to applicants?
It is absolutely true. The company has now restricted the number of days off per month to 14 with no more than 6 in a row. Combined with the fact that according to the same chief pilot, 42 days of leave in our contract really means 30 days and that we can only take 21 days during a peak period, the chance to get home, particularly when you are from N. America or Australia has been greatly reduced. As far as commuting - the company has been very clear, they do not want people commuting. That has got to be one of the reasons for this latest initiative.

Regarding the "cry babies" on PPRUNE, I find it interesting that those who really have no idea what goes on here can chime in with such authority as to why some might not be so happy. Unfortunately, changes like those recently announced are all too common here.

As far as what this will do for recruiting, the majority of applications right now are coming from N. America. I would be interested in hearing how something like this sits with some of those considering coming here. One thing that you can be sure of, you won't be spending much time back home if you come to work for Emirates.

It is absolutely true. The company has now restricted the number of days off per month to 14 with no more than 6 in a row. Combined with the fact that according to the same chief pilot, 42 days of leave in our contract really means 30 days and that we can only take 21 days during a peak period, the chance to get home, particularly when you are from N. America or Australia has been greatly reduced. As far as commuting - the company has been very clear, they do not want people commuting. That has got to be one of the reasons for this latest initiative.

Regarding the "cry babies" on PPRUNE, I find it interesting that those who really have no idea what goes on here can chime in with such authority as to why some might not be so happy. Unfortunately, changes like those recently announced are all too common here.

As far as what this will do for recruiting, the majority of applications right now are coming from N. America. I would be interested in hearing how something like this sits with some of those considering coming here. One thing that you can be sure of, you won't be spending much time back home if you come to work for Emirates.

Thank you Gillegan

I am wondering if the shortage of pilots overthere is the reason for the change. If they are growing at the alarming rate that the claim it would seem that this is a move to keep the operation running. This is sort of like over here when they cancel vacations or offer buy backs. I am not disagreeing with you at all in fact I agree with what you say here and that moves like this will keep pilots for N america from joining thus keeping the airline understaffed.

Here's another question for you and all pilots in the UAE. Unions are illegal by name however I dont see how a group of pilots taking steps to stop some of the injustices that occur over there is. if say 250 to 300 stood up and said no to some of these things maybe you could effect change! I don't know as I am just throwing that out there. You always get more bees with honey than vinagar!!!

Remember who pushes that throttles;)

WD.

Thank you Gillegan

I am wondering if the shortage of pilots overthere is the reason for the change. If they are growing at the alarming rate that the claim it would seem that this is a move to keep the operation running. This is sort of like over here when they cancel vacations or offer buy backs. I am not disagreeing with you at all in fact I agree with what you say here and that moves like this will keep pilots for N america from joining thus keeping the airline understaffed.

Here's another question for you and all pilots in the UAE. Unions are illegal by name however I dont see how a group of pilots taking steps to stop some of the injustices that occur over there is. if say 250 to 300 stood up and said no to some of these things maybe you could effect change! I don't know as I am just throwing that out there. You always get more bees with honey than vinagar!!!

Remember who pushes that throttles;)

WD.

I don't know for certain, but I assume that the mentality over there is that pilots will always be attracted to opportunity and the glitz of Dubai (and that region in general). There are tons of pilots in India, for example, who are flying A320s and 737-700/800s and gaining necessary experience who would love to fly 777s at EK regardless of the pay or QOL. It would be a big improvement in their minds.

You would think the EK management would not want a revolving door of experienced, trained pilots but actions speak louder than words... Imposing some of these new restrictions (which you would never find in the US or Europe because of strong unions and pilot shortages) should raise some questions in the minds of potential applicants - right?

If they are growing at the alarming rate that the claim it would seem that this is a move to keep the operation running. This is sort of like over here when they cancel vacations or offer buy backs.
It is partially a response to the staffing problem, but it is also a function of the jealousy factor. I'm sure that no one here is unfamiliar with the jealousy/envy that can sometimes color other airline employees attitudes towards flight crews. What may be a little different is the extent that Emirates enables that attitude. And just for your information, Emirates policy is that they WILL NOT buy back pilots vacation. Other employees? - that's okay.
Here's another question for you and all pilots in the UAE. Unions are illegal by name however I don't see how a group of pilots taking steps to stop some of the injustices that occur over there is. if say 250 to 300 stood up and said no to some of these things maybe you could effect change! I don't know as I am just throwing that out there. You always get more bees with honey than vinegar!!!
Don't underestimate the politics of power. A few years ago, the company changed a policy that basically left all the recruitment pilots working for free. When they all marched in and tendered their resignations, the company let it be known that they would be prosecuted for "illegal union activities". It was left to their supervisor to meter them out the door over a few months. Emirates is very aware of the value to them of the anti-labor laws and I have no illusion that they would be willing to shoulder some short term pain in order to maintain the current "power gradient".

So basically if they "change" something that is in your employment contract (like say give you 30 days vacation instead of 42) then you can't complain or do anything about it? That's breaking a legal contract isn't it?

So basically if they "change" something that is in your employment contract (like say give you 30 days vacation instead of 42) then you can't complain or do anything about it? That's breaking a legal contract isn't it?

So, who are you gonna sue? The government owns the airline. No unions. Plenty of willing applicants. Translation: you are on their turf and you play by their rules.

To clarify and in the interest of objectivity...are you saying that EK vacation has now been reduced to 30 days instead of 42..

fv

To clarify and in the interest of objectivity...are you saying that EK vacation has now been reduced to 30 days instead of 42..

fv
No. Your contract still says 42 days. The company will try to give you 42 days. What happened is that as the manning has gotten tighter and tighter, more and more pilots were not able to get their 42 days of leave. Some began to complain that contractually they were entitled to it. The response was that the company only had an obligation to give us 30 of the 42 days (as per Dubai labor law). If you do not get your 42 days, you will carry over the balance to the next year or you will be assigned leave but according to the company, 42 days per year (in your contract) really only means 30.

Latest resources

Back