• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Flexjet Union Drive on the move

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was apparent to even the casual observer that Flight Options management was trying to give their pilots a comparability raise in late January 2006, but this effort was stopped dead by the pilots organizing under the tutelege and encouragement of the Teamsters.

This is from section 152 of the RLA:

Fourth.
Employees shall have the right to organize and bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing. The majority of any craft or class of employees shall have the right to determine who shall be the representative of the craft or class for the purposes of this chapter. No carrier, its officers, or agents shall deny or in any way question the right of its employees to join, organize, or assist in organizing the labor organization of their choice, and it shall be unlawful for any carrier to interfere in any way with the organization of its employees, or to use the funds of the carrier in maintaining or assisting or contributing to any labor organizabion, labor representative, or other agency of collective bargaining, or in performing any work therefor, or to influence or coerce employees in an effort to induce them to join or remain or not to join or remain members of any labor organization...

And the NMB has ruled that this prohibition with regard to interference, financially or otherwise begins when company management could reasonably have been expected to know that a union drive was underway. I think Gerry pointed that out.

Fact is FLOPS management knew about the Union drive at least 2 years prior to the vote. For them to come out two months prior to the vote and talk about, let alone offer a raise represented interference, and they knew it. But they wanted to have something to blame on the union. So there is no speculation about this issue THEY NEVER COULD LEGALLY IMPLAMENT A PAY RAISE AND THEY KNEW IT. It's actually quite brilliant - I'd expect nothing less from F&H - and some of our guys fell for it, as apparently you have.

Look man I understand that in your world unions are bad and I would concede that they are also unnecessary, what with only 8 airplanes and all. But why would you suffer pilots who work for a fractional, under a vastly different set of circumstances, that you really can't understand unless you've been there, their due recourse? You seem to enjoy rubbing our noses in your big pay check and wonderful working conditions. I have to wonder why?

Don't tell me it's because you are just trying to save Flex from what has happened at FLOPS, because you clearly don't understand what it's like to work for a big fractional provider, and without that first hand experience you are in no position to advise anyone at a fractional.

The Flex guys will vote in the 1108, it's only a matter of time and then they will come the realize the benefits of haveing a union behind them when they go to work. And yea it will probably get a little ugly at first, but one day they will have a contract and they will sleep easy with the knowledge they fought for something of value and won. Rather than running away to some small flight department where they are nothing more than some CEO's well paid limo driver and yes boy.

Say it with me now "Ohh yess sirr masser".

hmmmm

Wow... This has been entertayning! GEX? If I had your job and your portfolyo I would be in the Bahomas sipping a cold one and taking in the sights to include a few bikinys... You arent a fractional Pilot, you have NO need for a union, why do you waste your time here? (notice all the errors in spelling, cant wait to see what that drums up)

For you FLEX guys, rest assured Management WILL taketh and you best be prepared to fight. I was never a big union guy until FLOPS showed me exactly how bad life was going to be. GEX step down to the "Middle Class" ranks and then you can post your thoughts about a FRACTIONAL airline. (this is not a private flight department thread).

Fly safe

Last edited:
Cosmo,

This is not an attempt to pick a fight with you but just to enlighten you. The stock we can buy is Bombardier stock. Yes, in a round about way, it could be considered flexjet, since it could be an investment in Flexjet, but it is Bombardier Corporate Stock. Also, Bombardier announced that due to the reduction in regional aircraft sales, they are laying off 1300 in both Montreal and Belfast.

Fly safe.

CL300

Wow... This has been entertayning! GEX? If I had your job and your portfolyo I would be in the Bahomas sipping a cold one and taking in the sights to include a few bikinys... You arent a fractional Pilot, you have NO need for a union, why do you waste your time here? (notice all the errors in spelling, cant wait to see what that drums up)....

I must admit that you hooked me with that one....;) There I was, shaking my head and rolling my eyes....:p

And then agreeing with your excellent point that one who has no need for a union and isn't affected by fractional issues isn't likely to fully understand the reason frac pilots would wish for representation. That said, it isn't unreasonable to expect other pilots to encourage those among them who are trying to stand up for themselves and the profession. When that doesn't happen the motives for posting here are rightfully questioned.

You must not read much...:p

No he reads really well but values his beer as a priority over some of what is said here. Sounds like a positive perspective to me. The issue with a union contract is not fairness but majority. What the majority will approve is what is approved. This is simply entrusting your job conditions to others for negotiation and agreeing to work for whatever was ratified.
Perhaps you can get the Air Force to unionize,,,,, yeah that will work. "No I cannot go do that bombing mission today,,, I will run out of duty time and the catering is late. ?"

The pilots have equal opportunity to become involved in their union and to help form the contract goals. They can participate in debates and provide direct feedback to the leadership. The motivated pilots are invited to run for elected office. Like many things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. I'm with Gunfyter. Far better to trust your future to your fellow pilots who share your career priorities. The NJ pilots' current CBA offers much more fairness than the last one did. The failed TA was voted down because it didn't. Clearly, majority votes and fairness were running hand-in-hand. Flt Ops pilots have also decided that being allowed to negotiate their wages and vote on their contract is the fair thing to do. Go Options! NJW

Latest resources

Back