• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Jumpseat 101 for FEDEX Pilot.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some require it, some don't. If you have them available and at the ready and the Captain does want to see them(this only happens to me about 30% of the time) then he doesn't have to ASK. Its called COURTESY, which is the whole point of this thread.

Consider yourself a genius now, no longer ignorant.

My personal preference is to ask to see them, its a security thing. I don't trust our Gate Agents to know what they're looking at.

Get off last. Don't impede the revenue passengers. This goes too for those pilots in Uniform who have purchased tickets. It just looks bad, we don't know if you bought a ticket or not.

Remember you didn't pay for any of the services given onboard, so don't expect to get any. The FA's have revenue to take care of. If its offered, as it almost always is, great, enjoy it humbly.

Hmmm...

If my company paid last-minute-one-way-full-fare for my ticket to or from work, I too am a "revenue passenger." I don't see where my traveling in uniform should prevent me from exercising normal front-to-rear etiquette when disembarking.

Please help me out here...don't just give me a dirty look when I take my (rather expensive) assigned seat on your aircraft. Thank you for the ride, yes, but it was paid for--not charity.

Aviate in a safe manner!

Get off last. Don't impede the revenue passengers. This goes too for those pilots in Uniform who have purchased tickets. It just looks bad, we don't know if you bought a ticket or not.

Sorry dude, but I gotta call foul on that one. When I'm on a ticket, I don't care if I'm wearing a clown suit (uniform), or nothing at all; I'm out.

You do know if I bought a ticket, because if I'm on a ticket I didn't come and talk to you.

Last edited:
Mud - trust me...you will not stay a wingman. I already see exactly what's going to happen. You'll show up in your new squadron as an 0-4 ADO (standard issue), and you'll be about 3 years out of date with the tactics in the mudhen. After listening to your young captains and your patchwear-er spin you up on academics and get you "sort of" knowledgeable on the mudhen tactics, you'll quickly progress to a 4 ship flight lead (just because the squadron needs you there so you can lead the lieutenants around). After you finish your ADO queep or if you're really lucky - the squadron commander will send you to the OSS to be a scheduler or stan-eval, which will take up most of your time every day, you may get thrown into a few red air sorties here and there. That's the standard issue Major ADO or OSS chump. Doesn't matter if it's in the C model, mudhen, or viper.

Scrapdog: You are a wise one in the ways of the world.

Fish

On aircraft without a F/A...........

Sit in the back

Cross the belts on your way out

Bring your trash and all else you can haul up front with you

Turn off the reading lights

Don't forget to give the captain a BJ on your way out..

Now, in all seriousness, aren't these jumpseat privileges pretty much necessary for commuting pilots to get to their jobs? So why all this formality with the jumpseat? But I'm just wondering.

I understand the common courtesy thing, but other than working for an airline you don't like, why would you deny a jumpseat? And if it's because they work for an airline you have issues with, shouldn't you not have the audacity to try to jumpseat on said carrier?

Crossing belts & turning off reading lights may be a little much (I do usually cross belts after DH'ing or non-revving on my company's airplanes).
Just don't leave a mess like the rest of the pax.

It all comes down to common courtesy. It ain't hard.
Be nice.
Introduce yourself to the F/A, Capt., AND the F.O.
Show your ID and jumpseat slip.
Ask for the ride.
Be ready to show your license and medical.
That's it!
After that, be a well behaved passenger.

I think this will work on 99% of the pax airlines (YMMV).

This thread sounds a lot like the thread last month when a FedEx driver was venting about some "disrespectful" Regional jumpseaters. Hmmm....

And you have a problem with proper etiquette?

For the record, it was my idea to share helpful hints on each individual airlines quirks to help guys out when they jumpseated. We've provided good info on Fedex, how about your airline? Which one was that again?

Dude, stop making us all look bad. There is no freakin' secret to jumpseating. You are supposed to show your company ID, License, and current medical. If you use a little common sense, you will hand this all to the Captain along with your j/s pass when you introduce yourself to the crew and ask for permission to ride on their airplane. If the captain doesn't care to see your license/medical no big deal, but you need to offer it.
As for the whole military vs civilian sidetrack, most pilots with a civilian background learned the rules and etiquette for jumpseating as they worked their ways up the ranks. Most military pilots have never ridden a jumpseat and need to take the time to learn how to go about it. It is covered in basic indoc. at FedEx. Maybe some of you slept through it.

And to everyone else...sorry about the 1-hour show rule. That applies to us as well as off-line j/s's. You aren't being picked on.

Dude, stop making us all look bad. There is no freakin' secret to jumpseating. You are supposed to show your company ID, License, and current medical. If you use a little common sense, you will hand this all to the Captain along with your j/s pass when you introduce yourself to the crew and ask for permission to ride on their airplane. If the captain doesn't care to see your license/medical no big deal, but you need to offer it.
As for the whole military vs civilian sidetrack, most pilots with a civilian background learned the rules and etiquette for jumpseating as they worked their ways up the ranks. Most military pilots have never ridden a jumpseat and need to take the time to learn how to go about it. It is covered in basic indoc. at FedEx. Maybe some of you slept through it.

And to everyone else...sorry about the 1-hour show rule. That applies to us as well as off-line j/s's. You aren't being picked on.

Baron,

You missed the point of my post. In a previous thread, someone had given some 'specifics' for his airline that he said would be helpful. I was looking for some other tips from some other carriers that would make both their and our flow easier...things that might be different from the norm. I can guarantee, crews on flights where I'm a jumpseater are showered with niceties(sp?) and have full bellies thanks to me...I'm not the guy who is making us look bad; but thanks for assuming that I am, since I have a military background. Care to comment on how I abuse the mil leave policy too?[that's a joke, in case someone is wondering]

Last edited:
Baron,

You missed the point of my post. In a previous thread, someone had given some 'specifics' for his airline that he said would be helpful. I was looking for some other tips from some other carriers that would make both their and our flow easier...things that might be different from the norm. I can guarantee, crews on flights where I'm a jumpseater are showered with niceties(sp?) and have full bellies thanks to me...I'm not the guy who is making us look bad; but thanks for assuming that I am, since I have a military background. Care to comment on how I abuse the mil leave policy too?[that's a joke, in case someone is wondering]

Oh Yeah!...and you abused the mil leave request last winter so my poor civilian arse had to do the walk around in the sleet and snow (but not snow pellets.) :p
And sorry if I misunderstood your post. My ESP is on the weak side so I didn't realize you were referencing an earlier thread.

Latest resources

Back