Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LilCap

You’re Gonna Make Me Puke!

I can’t believe all the drivel I’m reading. Threads like Unrealistic Expectations, and We Remember Those Lost On 9-11-01… oh no it’s coming up again.

You, who call yourself pilots, posting these sappy, mushy, feel-good messages. A group of people known for their egocentric, single-minded, hardheaded, “my way or the highway”, view of life in general. If you’re not berating, belittling, or complaining about something or someone, you’re not happy or you’re asleep.

Well… God love you all for it! (Or Buddha, or Allah, or Mama, or whoever you hold on high)

Its almost the 11th here on the west coast… and I kinda got to thinking… how lucky we are to be pilots in this wonderful Country of ours.

This is our day. It started with us, and it will end with us… once we all get back to what we love to do.

So, give your sweeties a hug and kiss, and your friends a call.
And to your fellow pilots… pat them on the back, shake their hands, or give em a knowing nod. They may look tough, but they are just a bunch of softies like you.
And Remember…..

Oh hell, now I’m really gonna puke.

Uuuh......ok. Have another.

I won't claim to be able to buy into his head, but I think I know where he's coming from. I sat and listened and watched after 09-11 before, as people who probably couldn't tell how many stars were on the flag, wrapped themselves in it.

People chanted " united we stand" (and posted it here, after every message), when we are so far from united it's ridiculous.

People posted and chanted and sang aout trusting in God, when hardly anybody would recognize him or his works today. God bless the USA they said...funny how they'd never said it before.

Hypocracy runs deep; there is nothing different about today than yesterday, nor 09-10 from 09-11 last year. The politics changed a bit, the air certainly seemed a bit more somber for a night. But did the death of two thousand strangers suddenly turn us into different and better people? Or is all the incantation, chanting, and regurgitation simply part of fitting in?

Chest beating about burying a fireaxe in a man's forehead is all good and well, and one might even stretch enough to say it's good psychotherapy to reiterate such affirmations. But I believe the orional poster was stating that this is all it is. An affirmation, founded in emotion and machsimo. He is right.

After 09-11 (the first time around), flag companies sold out over night. Around here one couldn't hardly see for all the car flags, house flags, building flags, hangar flags. Now, I love my country and my flag, and I have pledged my allegience to it enough for many lifetimes and in many ways, but I didn't rush out to hang a flag in my car window.

Instead, I continued to volunteer for the community, to give blood, to vote, to obey traffic and public laws, do unto others, and all the rest of what comes with putting belief in the flag into practice. Much more critical than the piety of chanting "God Bless America!" is the act of helping Him do it. It's called being a citizen.

I don't disparage those who have feelings for this day; many do; certainly many here do. And that's okay. I do feel a great deal of contempt in general for the chic surge of emotion that follows this date, which represents nothing but chest beating and being part of the mass. It flies in the face of what these events really mean.

What am I going to do when someone breaks into the cockpit? Probably die. But not without resistance. Beyond that, who knows? I'll let you know, when it's over. Or Tom Brokaw will. What am I going to do to Osama when I get over there and get my hands on him? I would postulate about all the damage I'd do, but I'll never get over there, and I'll never get my hands on him. But I can get my hands on a ladel at the local soup kitchen; I can help. I can get my hands on a squeeze toy while they prick my arm to draw blood for those who need it. I can kneel in prayer for the soldiers, and the politicians, and even the children in foriegn lands who want none of this, but have to be there anyway.

Certainly God bless the USA. Tears still form when I hear the Lee Greenwood song, and I cannot listen without joining in. Can't help it. To this day I cannot pass a flying flag without it tugging at my heart, causing me to pause for one moment, being deeply impressed at the awful price that that design and that fabric has been purchased with. Most definitely God bless the USA.

Rather than surmise about the unknown and beat our chests into bloody pulps proclaiming our power and prowness in the so-called war against terrorism, let's remember that we have what we always had, and concentrate on making it better. We're not united. God Bless the USA, but let's remember that by calling on God to do that, we volunteer to be His hands and His eyes, and to share His heart. It's up to us to do those things. That can't be done by talking about it, but only by doing.

I believe the origional poster was commenting that these sentiments seem to run deep on the anniversary of a terrible travesty, but what about the rest of the year? Rather than spending a year crying about securities inconveniences, how about a year of working to find better ways to enhance security, and then writing letters and starting a campain to implement those measures? Rather than talking about how to defend the cockpit, how about taking a class, preparing, sweating and developing the abilities needed? Rather than talking about letting God do all the work to bless the USA, how about stepping out into the community to serve on the local ambulance, read stories to children at the local hospital, or pick up trash along the highway?

We are a nation devoid of faith. We talk, but faith isn't in talking. Faith is a verb. Faith is about doing. If we talk, we must act. If today truly means anything at all, it will be the motivation to get up and do something about it. Not a one of us can do anthing more valueable in this life than share ourselves. When today is done and the good feelings are ready to be folded and put back in a shoebox under the bed, think about it for a moment, and don't put those feelings away. Try wearing them for the next year, and using those feelings to benifit the world around us. There is no telling the good it will bring.

WOW.........That post should be publised Avbug. God bless.:)

OK! OK! I’ll stick to flying and leave the posting of heartfelt, meaningful messages to those more capable.

Thanks avbug for translating my post so eloquently… did I say that? (I’ll cover your back anytime).

In my defense it was pretty late last night when I posted it originally… and it sounded good at the time… and after feeling all the love on the board (you must admit that it doesn’t happen often)… ah hell, what avbug said.

I’ll see you at the terminal… a nod, a smile, and maybe a “how’s it goin?

Take care out there.

That pretty much sums it up Avbug.

I have seen many instances where people have American flags on there vehicle, but dont think twice to act like its the last stand on Fiji on the highways.

I reminds me of the movie Full Metal Jacket.

"You have a piece sign on your body armour and you have born to kill on your helmet, what is that, some kind of sick joke"

Good post Avbug

Does make you think sometimes our patriotism and faith is a mile wide but a half inch deep.

I overheard this today while sitting in a goverment agency:

Government civilian co-worker: Talking to one of the soldiers who works in the office "Didn't you wear anything patriotic today?"

Soldier: Looks down at his uniform and back up "Can you suggest something more patriotic than this uniform?"

I know the co-worker didn't mean anything by it, and I am sure it is the same with most of the civilian population. I occassionally see somebody driving around with a flag attached to a mast on their car or something and note that the flag in unraveling at the trailing edge. I used to think more in terms of it not being proper, but now I think of it more in terms of excusing the etiquette and feeling a sense of approval that they are trying to show their support.

Take care

Latest resources

Back