Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JediNein

No One Special at all
From a regional airline application, "All rights, title and interest including, without limitation, all copyrights and patents in and to any material produced or inventions developed by me during my employment with XXX Airlines which affect or relate to XXX Airlines business or affect or relate to the airline industry shall vest in XXX Airlines and I shall have no personal right, title or interest whatsoever therein."

So I develop something, like the ultimate answer to preventing every weight-related accident, an article or two for an aviation magazine, or a series of study guides for a certain doohicky that happens to be installed in an airplane that someone somewhere is using for airline service. Does the above mean that XXX Airlines, without any sweat or risk on their part owns that device?

What of the other 'quality' regionals have this clause in their applications and/or employment contracts?

Thanks.

Hiya Jedi,

The short answer is "yes".

This is fairly typical in any employment agreement/application. Even if you go to school, most universities have the same policies about anything you come up with while enrolled (it's the same for the faculty).

Some fairly big name discoveries have mostly favored the corporate end. Kery Mullis invented PCR (the polymerase chain reaction), which is the cornerstone of DNA biology and foresics...it's used almost everywhere today to replicate DNA. The outfit he was working for sold the rights to the patent for 300 million dollars (in 1984 dollars). For his "efforts", the company gave him a $10,000 bonus. Pretty big of them, right?

Old Kery went on to win the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for PCR in 1993, and makes a mint off the lecture circuit, but doesn't really see a dime from his invention.

Some universities reel in LARGE dollars from discoveries made on campus. The faculty involved is usually taken care of (to the tune of maybe %2-3 of the take, plus tenure (if not already), plus lab space, plus some other treats), but any students involved get zilch other than their name in a publication.

I wouldn't worry about anything like magazine articles, and have never personally witnessed an outfit going after penny ante stuff like notecards or study guides, but I would go out of my way to sit anything else.

I'm sort of an academic type myself, and enjoy working on stuff similar to what you do, and I sit on everything until out from under the corporate umbrella or do a "work around". The important thing is not to talk to ANYONE at work about what you are doing.

It stinks to be sure. Just another reason to be your own boss.

Good luck with your efforts!

Best,
Nu

I wouldn't sign that. You can be working on your own time at home on something and they own it. Why would anyone sign that piece of ass. Give up the name of the company for the betterment of mankind.

The key is if you invent something, quit your job, wait a few months and then patent it. You can claim you developed it after you quit.

Ramp....

We actually had to sign something similar when I worked on the ramp for a major airline. It seems to be everyone gets on the intellectual property bus these days. Seems silly, but that's life. I found a great way around it by not inventing a durn thing!
Rock, Rock!

This is not a regional airline issue. Almost every major corporation in the US will make you sign something similiar.

Jet

Several years ago, after enjoying some hotwings and cold beer on a long overnight, I invented the First Flight of the Day "one-cheek sneak". Does this mean I am not entitled to patent rights or royalties???

Latest resources

Back