Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kamikaize

Giggity
I'm considering taking a job with ameristar and was wondering which base would be the best. Now before all you guys start bashing ameristar im fully aware of the crappy schedule and time away from home. I've flown on demand for a few years and know how hectic it gets and the quality of the 135 planes. which one allows more nights home when on your 10 day schedule,cost of living, and quality of life for a single 26yr old.

Since I have lived in YIP, I would go for ELP. Nice weather, Juarez, pretty girls, Juarez, outdoor activities etc..............

:eek: DONT PIC YIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once you take YIP as a base it will stick with you the REST OF YOUR LIFE !!!! YOU CANT GET AWAY AND IT WILL HAUNT YOU FOREVER!!!!. Trust me Ive been based there on and off for over 20 years and CANT GET AWAY!!!! For you own sake Take ELP !!!!! ;)

YIP is not that bad, but go for ELP

I have been based in YIP twice and didn't think it was that bad, but there is snow.

It is true, there is a funnel cloud that sucks you in to the freight side of the ramp that once you get pulled in, it is hard to pull yourself back out.

I would say it depends on where you are from, what type of weather and part of the country you prefer.

Good luck

Yip????

I spent a year there one week. It sucked the whole time. ELP is hot and alot of rocks, but it is still better than YIP.:eek:

ELP by a hair

I dont know...YIP had some of the nastiest weather. ELP is kinda blah....might be easier to jump on SWA out of ELP, then NWA out of DTW?? Something to think about...commutability??

elp is warm, really warm. the girls are generally cuter there too though many don't speak english.
yip isn't the greatest part of metro detroit but it isn't too expensive there compared to most of the cities around it either. there is more to do around the detroit area without having to cross a border (though canada is only about a 35 minute drive)
Personally I'd go to yip between those 2 choices though for metro detroit only city airport is lower on the list for aiports to work out of, (in fact I wouldn't take a job working at city airport)

I hear the companies are thinking of moving up to MQT(old Sawyer) just so the rest of you freight guys can freeze to death and it's alot like Ancorage. Go to ELP as fast as you can it don't snow there.:rolleyes:

Jobear
Ragin Cajun to far North to do anyone any good!

A good point

tired_pilot said:
I dont know...YIP had some of the nastiest weather. ELP is kinda blah....might be easier to jump on SWA out of ELP, then NWA out of DTW?? Something to think about...commutability??
After finishing a trip out of YIP, you may have to get to DTW to grab a flight home. That is tough, but you will be flying 5 days a week, most likely, and that will make it hard enough to commute, anyway.

There are some astonishingly beautiful women in ELP, and the Mexican food is about 11,000 times better than what you can find in MI. (Go to Forti's and get the pastel de tres leches)

Latest resources

Back