Yellowstone, Glacier and Rushmore

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

caseyd

Looking for a little guidance on best airports, hotels, best sights and any useful suggestion for a B200 trip to these three parks this month.

As it pertains to accommodations, anything with a color, adjective or a number in it's name just won't do.

Thanks in advance.

caseyd

Not too many specifics for you, however, here's what I have. I am from Montana and have spent lots of time in Yellowstone and Glacier, only once to Rushmore. Was in Yellowstone last week and recommend flying into Cody, Wy. The Holiday Inn is one of the nicest pads there. They still have the nightly rodeo going on. Irma Hotel for b-fast, local and great chow (skip the bufett and order the pancakes off the menu) Cody to the park is about a 1.0 drive but it's beautiful country. West Yellowstone, Mt. is a smaller town and the accommodations are more basic, however, there are several great brew pub/pizza joints there, not sure if their small airport could take your 200.

Glacier has been about 2 years, but Kalispell regional for the plane and stay in either Kalispell (no idea on hotels) or Whitefish which is closer to the park and smaller. Great brew pubs and chow at the base of Big Mountain ski resort. If you stay in Kalispell go to Mosse's saloon on north Main. Make sure you try and blow the horn for a free drink, it can be done!... It's a mental game.

Also, if you get the chance stop in Bozeman at Arlin's Aircraft (Gallatin Field) Bozeman is a great college town, great eats and bars and the folks at Arlin's will treat you right. (ask to see the privately owned F-100's and F-86)

Enjoy!

West Yellowstone can handle a B200 with no problem... I have seen Hawkers, Gulfstreams, and SkyWest Embs there.

Nice campground on the field at WYS, park and walk 100' to your site. On the other end of the spectrum Chico Hot Springs resort north of Gardiner (north entrance) offers superb accomadations in rustic setting that is an original old MT setting. Call ahead and you can land your kingair on the road, taxi in and park.

Scratch that last part about landing at Chico, seems development has shut down the runway.
http://www.chicohotsprings.com/index.html

Last edited:
Heck...I use to fly DC6B's, L188's and B737's into West Yellowstone. A B200 will be a piece of cake!

I must concur with MilPilot Moose's a must (If i remberer right..first third and forth holes covered..will make the sound) Whitefish is great in winter months, but Big Fork is a little better in Summer months for a good bite to eat and a place to get a drink.

Thanks all. We're gonna stay a little longer at Whitefish and drop the Yellowstone stop. It's crammin 10 lbs into a 7lb bag. We'll for sure go blow a horn.

caseyd

Latest resources

Back