Yankee Air Force, KYIP-Fire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cj610

I've been out of the country and just heard the Yankee Air Force Museum at Willow Run Airport,MI burned down. I just did a search but didn't pull up anything. Did they save the B-17,B-25,C-47?

CJ610

cj610 said:
I've been out of the country and just heard the Yankee Air Force Museum at Willow Run Airport,MI burned down. I just did a search but didn't pull up anything. Did they save the B-17,B-25,C-47?

CJ610

Heard the B-25 was out of the hangar and some or most of the planes were saved. All the memorabilia is toast though. Sad. And you're right, there's almost no info on-line about it.

all flying airplanes saved

The C-47, B-17 and Stinson, plus the B-25 where all saved. The airport has given the YAM the use of another hanger at YIP to set up offices and maintenance. They plan on a full flying season next year.

So what caused the fire? How much of the hangar is damaged? Can it be fixed? Glad they got those planes out.

No cause known

Investigators have not determined what happened. It was a 1941 temporary WWII wood hangar, built to last about 5-10 years. Once the fire started in was all over in about 30 minutes. The hangar is a 100% goner.

Latest resources

Back