Xpress Jet or Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stinkbug said:

McPickle, how long do you have to be an FO at ExpressJet before you're making $30 plus an hour? Not that that's a lot of money but does ExpressJet honestly pay their FO's this before four or five years' longevity with the company?

In the third year pay scale. (IE after being there for 2 years) the pay is 30.11 an hour, a rate that hasn't changed because our contract became ammendable.

I.P. Freley said:
Q: What happens when XJet's "exclusive" deal with Continental expires in a few years?

The only reason I ask is that an XJ captain I ran across recently, and a fairly senior one at that I gather, suggested to me that XJ was "screwed" (his term, not mine) when that point rolls around. He seemed to think they'd have to take concessions at that point or lose the Continental code-share... Because they wouldn't be able to compete with, among others, Mesa.

Frankly, this had never occurred to me until he brought it up, so.... Any thoughts from those currently in the XJ trenches?

A very valid point and one that not enough people are thinking about. I'd like to say that with one pilots union representing the Continental "Brand" name that our union brothers at CAL will toe the line so that all CAL or Express pilots end up performing CAL Brand flying. BUT we see how the CAL pilots continue to infight and shoot themselves in the foot. Kind of sad that we are counting on them. So basically ya we're fukced

Mckpickle

This thread is PERFECT for you!!! It seems anytime Mesa is mentioned on this board, you're so fast to chime in with a "God I hate Mesa" or "Mesa Sucks" or something along those lines... A truely deep seeded hatred....

NOW someone is pitting Mesa (your arch enemy) against Continental Express (The biggest point of pride in your life).. Beautiful....

Wake up pal, Mesa may suck, but so does just about EVERY other regional including CoEx...

As for the original question: The "Mature" follow up posts were right on... Go wherever! The best regional to work for is the one that will hire you... Choose one based on bases and equipment and whatever else floats your boat....

The botom line is that things at the regionals change constantly. In the past, Comair SUCKED! it was PFT and paid jack crap... Now people "wood out" on them as if they were ATA or Airtran caliber.. Chautaqua used to be very VERY small and had a fairly crummy reputation, now they're kickin tail.... ACA may be the next southwest... Tons of 1000 Hour wonders once thought Eagle was the last interview they'd ever go for (Flowthrough to AA) and now they're recently recalled SJU ATR FO's with all kinds of problems... More 1000 Hr wonders also laughed at PSA Dojet drivers when they left for ERJ school with Coex Pre-911... Some of them just declined recalls cause they now work as accountants or something...

Nough said.....

Mesa offers a variety of planes and bases nationwide... Their pay is about the same as everyone elses... They are going to hire over 1000 pilots in '04 which will nearly double their seniority list.. They have a MATCHED 401k (few others offer that)! Upgrade in the DHC-8 and BE1900 are LESS than 1 year... I heard about a dude in DHC upgrade class NOW who was a Newhire 4 months ago!! That's the fastest upgrade in a 30,000+ Lb aircraft around!

The January class at Mesa will probably type the DHC-8 guys and some will probably go straight to captain. Not bad for first year pay.

Just show me a non Mesa regional pilot that has anything flattering to say. Hey I know the Regionals suck, but come one what they did is inexcusable. It would be one thing if it were a new play out of the play book, but jeez Lorenzo did this all 20 years ago. And now My company and Mesaba and Comair and ACA and Air whisky and CHQ and everyone else has to deal with it. So no I don't like Mesa, I think they caved and are hurting the profession.

mckpickle said:
In the third year pay scale. (IE after being there for 2 years) the pay is 30.11 an hour, a rate that hasn't changed because our contract became ammendable.

And Mesa's 3rd yr jet pay is $30.57. What's your point? The fact is that Mesa first, second, and thrid yr jet pay is better then at Coex but Mcpu$$y would have you think that Coex is the end all be all to all other regionals. What ever. I have a good friend that is a 2nd yr FO(for pay, 4th yr seniority) at Coex and he just got off a two yr furlough and can't even hold weekends off on reserve in Newerk! At Mesa he would have been holding a line from day one (Phl and Den) and would be a 4th yr CA because he wouldn't have been on the street. So instead of making $27+ an hr getting abused on reserve he would be making $56+ and holding a line.

I'm not trying to say that Mesa is better then anyone else (I would have to be a good fiction writer to do that) but I am sick of people that have no idea about Mesa constatly taking shots. Give it a break or do some REAL research first. -Bean

Last edited:
Go to Mesa. The upgrade time should be a lot quicker than CoEx. I came to CoEx for the quick upgrade and it hasn't happened yet (3 years and 8 months). I am still a few hundred numbers away from upgrading. If your goal is to go to a major than I would go to Mesa for the upgrade.
Also, CoEx is one of the lowest paid pilot groups. ie 2nd year FO at SkyWest makes more than 6th year FO here at CoEx. Pay should improve on our next contract, but nobody knows what the pay rates will be or when our contract will be signed.
You should also consider where you want to live. CoEx only offers Houston, Cleveland, and Newark for domiciles. Commuting is an option, but the guys I fly with that commute say its a pain in the ass.

Good luck wherever you go,
145FO

Latest resources

Back