Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZ Typed

Hobby's Flyin
Please don't respond with your opinion on listening to music in the cockpit.

Has anyone used the portable XM radio (hooked into your headphones) at altitude with the windsheilds on? How's reception? What device did you use to plug the music into your headphones. Are you happy with XM radio?

I'm sick of tuning the ADF every 10 minutes to another preacher while crossing the country for hours. Any experience with the XM radio is appreciated.

AZT

I have tried to use my portable xm radio in the cockpit and it didnt work to well. I just had the speaker up in the cockpit and had ear phones on and it was poor reception. if you want to use something cool in the cockpit use the PSP(dvd, video game, mp3) it is great

I have the XM MYFI (for over a year now) and use it all the time. It is a great piece of equipment to help keep me awake on those long late night trips. I don't fly anything fancy, so I don't know what it would be like with the windshield deice on. However, I plug mine into the stero input which routes through the GMA 340 audio panel. I have the Bose X headset and I can turn the volume up on that. In turn I get good music all night long. In addition, the Myfi has the ability to record music that you hear. Just push the record button when you hear one of your favorites. I think it is 3 hours worth, but it might actually be 5 hours. I guess there is a new portable XM unit that can also play MP3s. So these options will give you the ability to have tunes in the event you can't get a signal.

The only limitations are that you have to have a clear view of the sky (no problem in an airplane). They also say that you have to be within the U.S. and that the sats. are in the southern sky. So, the only time reception is poor is when I am headed north. I can usually play with the antenna enough that I get music anyway. I am very happy that I have my Myfi!

Last edited:
We used it in our (corporate) BE-20... worked great

I take my sirius out of the car and put it in the airplanes I deliver. I am typically flying x-country in single engine props. I couldn't agree more about the idea of having to change adf frequencies every 10 minutes because of lost signal. Having sirius in the airplane makes all the difference in the world. The only problem I've had is sometimes in South Florida having reduced reception. Not sure what that's about. Other than that, the radio has worked great. Nothing like listening to Stern while talking to approach...

bptham said:
I take my sirius out of the car and put it in the airplanes I deliver. I am typically flying x-country in single engine props. I couldn't agree more about the idea of having to change adf frequencies every 10 minutes because of lost signal. Having sirius in the airplane makes all the difference in the world. The only problem I've had is sometimes in South Florida having reduced reception. Not sure what that's about. Other than that, the radio has worked great. Nothing like listening to Stern while talking to approach...

I've been wondering about Sirius in the airplane as well. After flying a 172 with a broken ADF from San Diego to New York, I feel the need. It's probably going to be about the same if I get the chance to do some cargo flying soon. What is a good device to make it so you can listen to Sirius through your headset?

Assuming you don't have any sort of "line out" on your airplanes intercom, most of the aftermarket intercomms you can buy now have the ability to plug a CD/MP3/Sirius up to them and they will be automatically squelched when a radio call is made. I don't know HOW you survived a trip from San Diego to NY in a 172 with no radio. That's tough. I'm serious, that radio makes long trips like that no sweat at all. It's worth the investment.

bptham said:
Assuming you don't have any sort of "line out" on your airplanes intercom, most of the aftermarket intercomms you can buy now have the ability to plug a CD/MP3/Sirius up to them and they will be automatically squelched when a radio call is made. I don't know HOW you survived a trip from San Diego to NY in a 172 with no radio. That's tough. I'm serious, that radio makes long trips like that no sweat at all. It's worth the investment.

It was loooong. The way out there was long too. Most of the time I just kept busy with making sure I was on course with my dual VOR's. No GPS or anything fancy. That passed the time along with dodging thunderstorms and giving Pireps.
I'll look in to the aftermarket intercoms. I'm thinking they might be too pricey for me though. Isn't there some kind of adapter cable that would do the trick perhaps?

Is anybody using XM or Sirius with heated windsheilds? That's my BIG concern - no reception with windshields on. I'm using the Bose X - how are you folks attaching the headset to the radio? I'd prefer NOT to block ATC, I always turn the radio off on descent as it is. It's cruise that's killing me! Thanks for the help!

AZT

I'm using it in a X and a Be-90 and it works fine. I find it doesn't work so well on the front windshield of the X (too thick or too much power) but works great on the side windows.

Latest resources

Back