Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

thepotato232

Tuberriffic
I've got a few friends coming up through the CFI pipeline who would like to avoid the exercise in masochism that most regional jobs provide, and are interested in working for Expressjet. The big question they have that I haven't found a real answer for is what pilots think the upgrade situation is going to be in the future. I'm glad the branded flying is working out so far, so it doesn't seem that there's likely to be a slide into 5+ year territory, as some people had feared. I've done a search on the subject and haven't been able to find any intelligent discourse in recent history. Any thoughts? Shorter, longer, or continuing to hover around the 2-year mark?

Oh, and I know this is wishful thinking on my part, but I hope we can avoid the usual river of flame that occurs whenever someone brings up the concept of quick upgrades. These guys are concerned with QOL, which is why they're more interested in XJT than joining the unwashed masses at GLA, Mesa or Pinnacle.

your post makes no sense.

You want to avoid the masochism of the regionals BY UPGRADING as quick as possible?

Reserve captain QOL = masochism defined.

Correction: F/O Hot Reserve at GLA = masochism defined. But I'm not too interested in comparing regional war wounds...

Most people can imagine worse situations to be in than sitting reserve on Captain pay at a half-decent regional. It seems like XJT offers a fairly decent deal, with the captain upgrade being the big wild card. Then again, I don't really know. Since you clearly have first-hand experience on the subject, maybe you could enlighten us?

Last edited:
I upgraded at 2 yrs 2 months. Its hovering around there right now. Projected to go lower, but that is all subject to change as we all know. When I upgraded they were telling us that the company is projecting newhires to upgrade at a year and a half. FWIW

I love how non industry types love to throw this question out there. 2yrs seems to be the current condition, but anything is subject to change... what isn't is the fact that if you want too choose between reaching for your ankles and choosing lube or sand. Contract or slave the choice is yours. If you have a poor self-esteem and will do anything for flight time, well. It said you're a be1900 f/o what part of this don't you understand. Upgrade subject to change! How your treated most likely not.

Latest resources

Back