xjet 12 hour reserve call?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tjmoser

Not sure I heard right- is there a 12 hour reserve call? Sounds like you could be a commuter, and wait at home to get the call. Also, how senior are these Mexico overnights you guys have? Thanks!

Yeah there is a 12 hour call out line. I believe there are 10 or so to bid on. I think they are pretty difficult to get based on what you said about commuting. Don't konw the answer to the other question.

I had the long-call line as my last reserve line. It was great. It was very close to having a regular line, since we were the first people called for open trips, and the 12-hour call meant I'd normally get called 18-24 hours in advance so I could commute in.

Commuting on long-call is somewhat difficult, since you must constantly stay aware of your position on the call list and what open trips are available.

Ya we have a 12 hour reserve call. Those guys fly the most since they get called before anyone else. You can commute pretty easily if your within driving distance however if you have to fly in it's not that easy. Say they give you a call at 7 or 8 at night for a 7 or 8 morning show. You can't get to the airport in time for the last flight and the first one in the morning might not get you there. But for the commuters that drive it's ideal.

Mexico overnights- depends on which destination and which base. A lot of EWR guys will do anything to avoid Mexico. The Houston crews are a little more familiar with it.

Short layovers with nothing to do go pretty junior. Good ones (like 36 hrs. in Veracruz, Tampico, anything with a beach) go a little more senior.

fly to mexico quite a bit and I am still on reserve. The best place as of yet has been Manzanillo. It was a quick turn but still a beautiful approach. Mexico City is really cool also just too Dam! busy! Can't wait for the 12 hour call out living in Austin.

I dig the long call, got a relief (build-up) line for next month and I wish I still had my long call. The long call is a good gig. I commute and was able to scam about 4 more nights at home than I would have on straight reserve. The relief lines suck and they are going to add more 12hr call lines from what I understand.

It is true that the long call guys are supposed to be first to go but it doesnt always work out that way because you can only be assigned trips that have been in open time for at least a day or so. Because of that, its easy to predict your schedule and they can't use you at the last minute. Its a good system and I'm pretty sure we're the only folks that have it (could be wrong).

As far a Mexico, if you are IAH based (EWR rocks, IAH suxs) you will do plenty of Mexico. Some of it is cool as hell and some of it sux. Good luck.

BTW, I'm a CA so I'm not sure if things are different for new FO's. Your experience should be similar. Later.

The Mexican overnights are O.K. One of the great things about XJT is the variety of flying. A review of my logbooks shows the last 30 days overnights are:

Morelia MX
Los Angeles (Two days in a row, long, and not red eye)
Wichita
Sarasota
Boise
Quebec City (Long)
Knoxville
Cincinnati
Boise
Dallas Fort Worth
Pittsburgh
Torreon MX

Destination wise, here's the last 30 days:

Amarillo
Montrose
Dallas
Oklahoma City
Pensacola
Manchester
Corpus Christi

With of course;

Houston
Newark
Cleveland

The reserve system tends to work pretty well. I was never abused. (Keep in mind I bring the perspective of a pilot who was 60 minutes to gear in the well, anywhere in the world...) I have a buddy who is more than senior enough to hold a line, but continues to bid reserve so he can be around the house as much as possible. He's happy with the ability to control his life somewhat. Open time for FO's is pretty good, I trade away my less interesting trips for destinations I enjoy with late shows and early returns on the last day.

My wife works, so I'm pretty much "Mr. FRI,SAT,SUN,MON" to help her out with the kids and free up her week for when she needs to travel. I could probably hold weekends off soon, but again, it's nice to be abole to use the system to do what you need it to. (My old charter buds wouldn't believe how much control even a little bit of seniority gives you in a scheduled operation.)

i've been doing long call this month and have only flown like 45 hrs, the last to months as a short call flew 65 each. Next month I have a relief line and it rocks, I'm playing with open time right now, so far have 15 days off and flying 82 hrs, not bad.
Mexico is a lot of fun, I've been there at least 2 or 3 times per month, a lot of senior people avoid Mexico flying, in CLE I flew with a couple 8 year guys that had never been to Mexico.

Latest resources

Back