• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

X-Jet Guest Passes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, we get 10 "buddy passes" per year. They are $50 each way plus tax. So basically $100 round trip anywhere in the continental USA. Don't waste your time with these. Just buy a regular ticket on an LCC for a little more and you know you will get there! I don't even bother giving them out.

Yeah, the buddy passes are pretty worthless. The only time they're of value is when someone needs to travel at the last minute. When my wife's aunt ended up in the hospital, we used buddy passes to fly her parents, brother and another aunt to visit with her. Buying the last minute ticket, even on an LCC, would have cost about $350/person.

Other than that, you're better off buying a real ticket with a guaranteed seat.

Flyer1015 said:
Now does that include both XJT and CAL travel priviledges, or just XJT ???

Both XJT and CAL. It may also include Commutair and Colgan, although their rules are a little different, I believe, and I'm not familiar with them.

And don't forget the vacation passes. If I understand it right, these are completely free roundtrip pass for up to 6 people and they have the highest standby priority classification.

I think we get 2 of these per year and they are good on CAL or any codeshare, I'm probably wrong about some of this though.

Daaaaamn I didn't know the benies were this good!

Both XJT and CAL. It may also include Commutair and Colgan, although their rules are a little different, I believe, and I'm not familiar with them.

And don't forget the vacation passes. If I understand it right, these are completely free roundtrip pass for up to 6 people and they have the highest standby priority classification

You get 12 one way vacation passes each January 1st. One way could mean Newark-Honolulu-Guam-Cairns, as long as it's one way the number of segments is unlimited. So to get yourself and your companion or spouse to Europe and back would take 4 vacation passes.

My parents never go anywhere, and I have had so little money to go traveling over the past five years (as an FO until recently) that I have about 42 of these sitting in my account. They help somewhat to get you on, but by no means are they foolproof, and if you get stuck enroute somewhere, you have to use another pass for the next flight the next day. For example, I had to jumpseat to get to Hawaii and back a couple of years ago. Vacation passes didn't help. And if you're going through Houston, it can be almost impossible due to the seniority and sheer numbers of employees there.

And if you come work here I would anticipate this benefit may evaporate over the next few years, but no telling what might happen.

Also be aware that you are taxed by the IRS on ALL companion passes (even vacation passes). For example if a Europe roundtrip 1st class is listed at a street cost of $8000, you will have about 10% of that or $800 added to your W-2 wages for the year, and you will pay tax on that "income" at your tax rate. You don't pay this on your spouse or parents passes, only your companion. If you're not careful, this can really add up to a very scary tax bill. Don't put your girlfriend on as your companion and let her just go willy-nilly around the country or world. We have had a few guys realize this too late, and got HUGE tax bills.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back