Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WTF!! Why give me a Visual and expect me to intercept the LOC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

texan1

I hate this. Its happening more and more. ATIS and Approach say Expect a Visual and then give you some fix on a LOC that is crammed in the middle of all the other approaches in the FMS in MIA. 8L ... why not just give the LOC approach and leave it at that?

The visual just allows ATC to decrease their spacing minimums on inbound traffic. They still want you flying over a predictable track over the ground. Sounds like you already have local knowledge of the approach, so if you set up the FMS early, it should be a piece of cake. As a matter of technique I find using the FMS and LNAV intercept to be much smoother (less grabby) than arming the LOC or approach mode on the autopilot. Especially on a visual if I am fast or intercepting greater the 30 degrees. 1000 ways to skin a cat.

I have not been into MIA since many many Moons ago. However, in general when you have parallel runways, ATC will clear you to intercept the LOC to protect arrivals on the other side of the field. In MIA's case they are protecting arrivals on 09. never the less I see what your saying.
T

The way I learned it, you ALWAYS have an approach to your landing runway loaded and displaying, even when expecting a vector for a visual approach. It's cheap insurance against many embarrassments. :eek:

The way I learned it, you ALWAYS have an approach to your landing runway loaded and displaying, even when expecting a vector for a visual approach. It's cheap insurance against many embarrassments. :eek:

You must not be part of the taxiway landing club. :0

Come overseas and try some really f(*$#up ATC system....the word **WTF** is in ur book every day!

I hate this. Its happening more and more. ATIS and Approach say Expect a Visual and then give you some fix on a LOC that is crammed in the middle of all the other approaches in the FMS in MIA. 8L ... why not just give the LOC approach and leave it at that?

You must be new.

Answer: Because they can. It's controlled airspace. You can expect direct to any fix if you are a "/G" or "/R."

Try telling them you're "unable." See how that works for you.

Come overseas and try some really f(*$#up ATC system....the word **WTF** is in ur book every day!

So true. Coming in BAH last night they asked to vacate at Bravo, the end of the runway. Upon touchdown they said vacate at Delta, about 3000' earlier. Just said unable. We had already adjusted break settings for Bravo wasn't about to start fiddling with settings at touchdown. I was always taught that ATC convenience didn't trump operational safety. Keep that in mind and you'll be okay. BTW it's always smart the have the ILS cued up even when you are on a visual.

Flying into PIE from the north and landing 36R we are always brought in on a left downwind. When cleared for the visual it comes with a stipulation to "maintain at or above 2,600 feet until south of runway 9". The tower will then give us decent at our discrection.

Things are tailored to each airport and runway as needed. I do agree with you though, the first time I got that clearance I thought WTF.

Latest resources

Back