Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

generaltso

Marcy Projects
Has anyone been able to bring one of them fancy TI graphing calculators into a FAA written exam?

For the ATP there is some number crunching on those W&B and sure would like to have the TI instead of the sportys thing... however not sure if they would be worried about storing things in the memory.

Anyone had any fuss when showing up with one of these?

If it has non-volitile memory, meaning that it you turn the calculator off then on again the data in the memory locations is still there, you probably won't be allowed to take it into the exam room. It depends on how thourough the exam proctor is. I had them usher me to a seat without glancing at the materials I brought with me, and I've had them examine each item in detail. The last exam, they took away the instructions for my electronic e6-b. I'd just leave the fancy calculator at home and doo the math on the Sporty's calculator, or bring a cheap non-programmble calculator.

I've shown up with the test prep book before and haven't had any problems. Bring whatever you need. I bet a cell phone would be handy.

What a joke our FAA test are.

I used the same ti-82 on all my tests from pp to atp. I don't think you really need all the crap that it does, but is was the only calculator i had. I think the rule is that if it has a memory you have to erase it in front of the proctor. No one ever made me erase it however.

The only problem with a cell phone is that most testing sites have video monitoring and if you get caught you will loose your certificates

At our site here, they tell you no cell phones in the testing room. They gave me some scratch paper and pencils. I brought my own personal E6B, extra pencils, Plotter, and TI-86 Graphing Calculator.

Taken written tests at two places, neither one had a problem with the TI-86.

Latest resources

Back