• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you take the plane?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just to add a twist to this situation, what if there was only an NDB approach available, and the weather was at the NDB minimums?

Most RJ operators don't do NDB approaches because chances are if the airport only had an NDB approach, it's somewhere where an RJ is not economical or at a city where there are about 115 people. Problem solved, not than an NDB app is a big deal unless it's in a valley or mountain area.

Last edited:
I agree that turning off the AP/FD occasionally is good to keep the scan up. When I flew the emb120 for the commuters I never used the autopilot for an approach and would turn off the FD most of the time as long as the wx wasn't on its a$$. It made the job less monotonous for me.

I remember an FO that watched me hand fly an approach (no FD) and asked if he could do the same on his leg. I said sure and told him i thought it was a good idea for everyone to do it at least a few times a month. On the approach into DEN he was all over the place. I asked him nicely to turn the FD back on. He was shocked and pissed at himself that he was having trouble. It is truly amazing how quickly our scan can go to crap. If your SOP will let you, turn off the magic from time to time to keep your scan up.

Most RJ operators don't do NDB approaches because chances are if the airport only had an NDB approach, it's somewhere where an RJ is not economical or at a city where there are about 115 people. Problem solved, not than an NDB app is a big deal unless it's in a valley or mountain area.

Check out the ILS 16 into KAVL when the tower is closed. ASA does this all the time.

The question is are YOU the Captain? If not, then you only have two options:

1. Refuse to go. See your chief pilot. Hope he takes your side.
2. Go. Worst case scenario, you divert. Is the weather above the minimums at your destination? If so, then I assume your issue is no autopilot? Why does having no autopilot scare you? You flew airplanes for years with no autopilot... didn't you?

Most of them out there these days surely didn't. They think that "paying their dues" means flight intstructing for 2 months, and being and FO for two years. And 90% of the ones that I've seen couldn't fly a whole leg, let alone an approach, to near-minimums with no autopilot or FD.

I fail to see the difficulty in that approach.

It goes like this: 30 miles out, "cleared direct Broad River, Cleared ILS 16, radar service terminated, report down time on Atlanta Center freuency XXX".

This was response to CX 880 saying no one ever uses NDBs in real life.

Lynxman, go ahead and expand on your thought... so female pilots are inferior? Really?

Latest resources

Back