Would you give up the jumpseat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Marinedog

So I was commuting to work today trying to jumpseat on a CHQ flight. I check in with the gate agent and she says the flight is over sold but there isn't anyone listed for the jumpseat so I should get on. Well after about 30min. this TSA guy shows up and he is commuting to go see family and since TSA and CHQ both fly for American and my airline does not he has priority for the jumpseat. While I don't disagree with that policy I do think there is an unspoken rule, among pilots, that if one guy is commuting for work and the other for pleasure the guy going to work takes priority. I know I have given up the jumpseat on numerous ocations when I am traveling for pleasure. Now if both guys are going to work all's fair in love and war. Seriously am I being too nice here should I just start saying good luck getting to work buddy I'll make sure I drink an extra one for ya since I'm going to get there 2 hours sooner!!! I'm not picking on TSA I just don't undertand what happen to common couresy. So the question is would you give up your seat???

It would have been courteous for him to give it, but of course, he doesn't have to. Personally, I would have given up the jumpseat. Oh well, it'll happen to him one day... just a matter of time! Karma's a edit!

Creative spelling is not allowed

Last edited by a moderator:
Your not wrong however you fail to mention if you explained to him that you had to meet a showtime for work.

I'm former TSA and I would always give the guy/gal the seat if it was just me going home. It's simple professional courtesy.

No airline has the lock on goobers though. I have been screwed by at least 1 pilot of every well known airline at some point including my own. Some just don't get it... what can you do.

Last edited:
It is professional courtesy but what were the other factors? Next flight looked really bad, he possibly getting bumped by another jumpseater, he needed this flight so he can make his only connection home. If none of those apply then he was just being a tool.

Absolutely, I would give up the seat for a commuter going to work. To me...a no brainer, but thats just me.

Seriously am I being too nice here should I just start saying good luck getting to work buddy I'll make sure I drink an extra one for ya since I'm going to get there 2 hours sooner!!!

You are following your own ethics and what YOU consider to be right. you are not being too nice, you are being yourself. we all know that there are folks out there that have no ethics

I always thought it was good practice to scope out the gate area and find other jumpseaters..to 'meet and greet' and find out who is going where and who has something important to do..

The jumpseaters that look at each other as suspect and adversaries obviously got into this profession for one thing. And/or their mother did a really poor job....

When this happens, I see which aviation academy the other pilot went to, and what his grades were like. If they are better then mine (never happens), I give up the seat.

It's nothing personal.

Latest resources

Back