• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

World Airways Hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately nothing at this time - the temporary position provision is an existing portion of the contract. I presume the inclusion of that provision resulted in some gain at the time it was negotiated.

Hopefully everyone who wants to come back will be back soon.

Seth,

I'll make some assumptions: You're former ATA, you know how non-sked supplemental works, and you know how long it takes to train folks on new equipment, etc., etc.

Since the bid is only for 3 months, and you seem like an intelligent person, you could probably surmise the the ONLY benefit a crew member could possibly see, exactly (to use your word), indirectly of course, is that the company wouldn't have to turn away business. So, yea, the company does a little better than they would have if they turned down the additional flying.

I'm sure there's plenty of airline experts out there that could figure out a better way to do it.

brgs,
rj

The missing piece to this puzzle is that everything that happens in the airline world, whether it is supplemental, flag, or domestic, ALPA, APA, or Teamsters - has a cause and an effect. I see everything from my new, lowered perch, to be part of a continuum that is headed in a retrograde direction. It is not directly the fault of one pilot group or one union or another, and quite frankly, if I had to throw blame at anyone it would be ALPA - which has never, ever, drawn a line in the sand on anything. And if they did, they didn't stick to it, ever.

No solution, sorry. But the value of unionism from a pilot's standpoint is becoming increasingly questionable as market forces seem to have more of an effect on QOL and compensation than anything else. Well, Delta seems to have an OK union situation, but even they lost quite a bit over this soon-to-be-over decade.

Temporary bid, ok, so you helped the company but if I were a line pilot with a seniority number somewhere I'd look askance at that concept.

...and this is pretty funny, I almost forgot that I'm furloughed from somewhere that is unionized. So, I officially am looking askance.

Last edited:
Guess we've never looked "askance at that concept" since it made sense when we did the Hadj for years. Never been taken out of our CBA.

Sounds to me like GAL, or whatever the outfit is called now, has kept the same playbook as when ATA existed. I'm with Seth. Unless you had need of their medical staff, which was top notch, ALPA was mostly useful to ensure 2% of your pay went to them. That and the 'mustaches of the month' magazine. :)

Wtf!

UM#1 said:
There are rumors floating around about the 3 DC10's going away mid-2010 and being replaced with MD11's, but just rumors at this point.
Replaced by MD-11s, really?! Where would World get these MD-11s?? There are no MD-11s to be had except maybe one from Finair!!
zzyyxxtt said:
Plus the fact that the troop rotation and new deployment makes it necessary to keep aircraft and possibly add to the fleet.
Yes the troop rotation and new deployment is a fact. Necessary to add aircraft I would agree with. What does this have to do with World?? We can't operate what we have due to critical F/A staffing issues, and they refuse to hire because of the projected loss of 4 pax acft. Pilot recalls is only for cargo. Until we hear about F/A hiring that's when I'll believe things are picking up.
zzyyxxtt said:
as well as the Sonair/Atlas thing not happening so World is keeping that as well.
Dude, put down the eggnog! This is blatant rumor spreading! Where did you get this bit of info??

Its actually worse then what's being written. According to management we are losing 4 planes by this time next year. The 3 remaining DC-10s
I'm curious what management told you this? the only offical word from mgt regarding the DC-10s I saw was from the COO Montford to the EXCO stating "The earliest any DC-10 would leave the fleet is in June 2010..." . Now I'm not saying the -10s are or aren't going away, in fact I believe they will, I'm just curious which management memo I might have missed that you read? thx

Last edited:
Boeing Aircraft Trading Co.
Are we talking about passenger or freighters?? I looked at what acft are avail, only 2 MD-11Fs, no pax birds. Plenty of 744s and even 3 777s. I was also surprised to see 767-300ERs avail too. I thought Delta had every single one ever made!! Just kidding...

It was VP of Ops (BY), told us in Nov while over Pacific.

Latest resources

Back