• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Woft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello I am an army pilot flying uh-60 blackhawks. For me WOFT program was something good in the sence that I knew I wanted to fly and the army paid for the training, and I don't have a 4 year degree require by some other flying programs in different branches. I owe the army 6 years after completion of training. I have 12 years active army service and I am thinking of getting out about 2.5 yrs. I want a better quality of life, the Army lacks of that very much. Other than that it is a great program but if you want to fly jets I will tell you it is almost impossible. And yes you do have additional duties I have work as an armorer. night vision goggles maintainer, drug and alcohol abuse prevention officer, NBC officer, claims officer and few insignificant others. Another good thing is you have job security.

If you want to get in to just fly fixed-wing forget it..If you want a Helo Comm-Inst and don't mind earning it dodging SA-14s then join up. Emery Riddle its not....the Army has been beddy beddy good to me........Old CW4

I'm in IERW currently and it is a really good program. These guys aren't joking about being a soldier first though. There is a lot of stuff that you must put up with in being a soldier but to me it is worth it. They let me fly! I hadn't really thought about flying rotary wing before I applied but I wasn't competitive enough for the other branches. The standards are a little bit lower these days to get into WOFT because of the shortage of pilots. That is not to say that the training is not up to speed though. There are people applying every month that get denied a slot. You must work very hard once getting here. Now that I am flying helicopters I don't see flying fixed wing as the ultimate goal anymore.

Dr Pokenhiemer said:
Back then ('94-'97), you had to have atleast 2000 hours PLUS a four-year degree with a GPA of 3.8 or higher to be competetive. Standards may be different these days.
in my 10 years as an army aviatior (including the time frame you mentioned) i never once met a graduate of ierw that had even a fraction of the 2000 hrs you mentioned. maybe 200 hrs off the street, but 2000? i think not. and plenty of guys got picked up with nothing more than a hs diploma.

Latest resources

Back