• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will Major Airline salaries rebound???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You make a non sequiter when you state wages will go up when unions make concessions. WTF???? Over.

Read my post again. I said that I believe that profits will be made when concessions are made, not wages will increase when concessions are made.

I suspect once the unions take cuts and fuel prices come down airlines will start making a profit/stop hiding a profit.

Common sense says that fuel prices go up, and fuel prices go down.

No, No, No. Will not happen.

In fact this is the wrong focus. You will be better served by studying the company you want to work for. Is the management sound, are workers content, is the company growing? Are they financially sound and turning a profit? Are they going thru a restructuring or significant change? Those are the factors that count. Not the highest salary. Often the highest salary is a warning sign because once they go up they don't come down if needed to help save the company. Or they come down too late. There are exceptions to every rule, but why take a long shot?

Last edited:
Ban flight schools!

If the airlines survive, then wages will eventually rise again. Whether or not they will be as high as before---that depends on the negotiation process. Will the high fares return? Maybe, maybe not. Back in '95 our Ex CEO Ron Allen said "Times have changed FOREVER"--when he was talking about Southwest starting to invade Florida. Then oil prices went way down (I remember 76 cents a gallon in ATL in '96) and the late 90's were great. It probably also depends on how many LCCs are out there.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that the pay per hour would actually have to be higher then it had ever been. 5-10 years after 9/11 equals 2006-2011. You would have to add to keep up with 5-10 years of inflation. Properties, college, cars, and hot girls for example show no signs of getting any cheaper.

Pilot compensation will never again see the high levels of the 90's.

There are pilots that are willing to fly an airplane for 80 dollars an hour. While another group of pilots get 180 dollars an hour to fly a similiar sized aircraft. This creates pressure on both sides. On one side the pilots are fighting for more and on the other side management is fighting to pay less.

In the above case it is easy to give back 20% of $200/hr equals $160/hr. But fort the other group to get to $160/hr would require a 100% raise. And managements do not hand out that kind of raise.

The other problem facing the pilots of this country is cabatoge. At Continental, COPA Airlines(CAL owns 30% of COPA) flies 737 from Panama to MIA. The get paid half of what a CAL pilot gets paid. The sad part of this situation is that the 737 flown by the COPA pilot was bought by Continental Airlines and sub leased to COPA. Continental is now trying to by Aviaonca. They will more then likely do the same thing at that airline.

The other danger is another reduction in crew members. About the time there is a shortage in pilots(2014). There will be a new type of aircraft developed by Airbus, or any other manufacture.

This has happened to a lot of other skilled professionals and it will happen to us, replaced by a machine.

Wasn't pay for training around more during the mid 90's? $10,000 to work at Coex, and others? That went away and pay eventually went up to record levels. After the 9/11 downturn i believe only colgan went to PFT. 4 months ago Coex wanted people with 1500/500, now it has come down to 1200/200. Things change. Last year only a hand full of companies were hiring. Everyone on this board was pretty down in the dumps. Things change. Comair was where everyone wanted to be.....now people are even sticking their nose up at that and hoping for the places with a quicker upgrade. (doesn't help the pay arguement i know). Not everything is always going to be doom and gloom forever.

Yes, but Avianca and Copa will not fly to MIA and then on to ATL or IAH. That will not happen. Copa still doesn't fly from Panama City to IAH---only CAL pilots do on their own 737s. CAL also never flew from MIA to Panama City, Panama. Partial ownership in other airlines does NOT mean that cabbotage will happen. It could have been a good investment if South America flying gets more and more profitable.

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

yea... and a few years back everyone predicted that business trips would no longer be needed due to virtual meetings.

Technology will change some but I predict better times are coming and we have a few decades left before people trust machines to just one set of eyes in the front and even more time before they will fly on an airplane without a human.

Latest resources

Back