Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cvoav8r

Tube Dude
Wondering what the consensus is on whether or not Major Airline salaries will rebound?
Do you think that we have seen a long term adjustment given that the Low Cost Carrier is here to stay and our pilots in foreign airlines have always made considerably less?
Has airline management now determined that we are unjustifiably overpaid?
What does your crystal ball tell you about what a career airline pilot job looks like?

Depends on when you think the "majors" will have money to burn and are profitable, when there is a "shortage of pilots" (Kit Darby is full of b.s.), there is no competition from the LCC carriers, when the traveling public will pay a thousand bucks for a ticket without blinking, and when going to an airport to get on a plane is slightly less painful than extracting teeth without novocaine, and when the pax are treated more like humans and less like cattle.. Yes, then the "Major" salaries will go back to the levels they were 4 years ago. In other words, When pigs fly.

But, I could be wrong.

jarhead said:
Yes, then the "Major" salaries will go back to the levels they were 4 years ago. In other words, When pigs fly.
4 years ago they were still going up. Although hours are down, wages are still up at Delta, and it looks like they're about to get a raise. Not only that, but according to the courts, Delta's business is back up to pre-Al Queda strike levels, by some measure anyway, already.

I think we'll see pigs flying in less than 6 years. :)

Uh-huh. And with the recall of 1060 furloughed pilots, I guess that there are customers who 'need' the additional flights that Delta would have to add to absorb those pilots. Either that, or they're all flying empty airplanes from A to B. It seems to me, as all this does is add track shoes to Delta's race towards being bankrupt.

But, I could be wrong.........

Yes the pay will come back, it's just a matter of time. I suspect once the unions take cuts and fuel prices come down airlines will start making a profit/stop hiding a profit.

Oh yea, Delta is "hiding" their profits. You have some information about fuel costs going down? You know more than Wall Street then. You make a non sequiter when you state wages will go up when unions make concessions. WTF???? Over.

TonyC

I would just love it if all the pilots at majors, regionals, fractionals, cargo, etc, could have a stress free, high wage job. I just look at the tea leaves as showing that it's a different era. Times have changed, and so must expectations. The economics of the industy must rule. As the airlines have no taxing authority for their service, it has to be run in the black, or perish. A lot of people just don't want to grab onto that reality. If the post office charges too much for stamps, people use e-mail and Fed-ex. Compettion makes life a biitch for labor. Just the way it is. It's not right, it's not wrong. It's just reality. Grasp it and adapt, or perish like the dinosaur. (metaphor---not personal)

Where does job security come into play? Anybody consider this?

* I'm not just talking about SWA, there are some other good compaines out there.

Latest resources

Back