"Why haven't I been called?"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

To those out there awaiting the magical call from not just SWA or other carriers, I would like to post a few thoughts. I'm doing this because I have received quite a few PMs, phone calls & the like asking me

"so & so got called & he had an app in less time that I did" or

"so & so got called & he had less time than I did" or

" I have a type & I was told having a type would get me interviewed before those without types"

& many more questions that come up.

First of all neither I (especially I) nor anyone else out there have a peek behind the curtain on why/how/what criteria is being used to call folks for the interview. I'll take a snapshot of SWA & provide some simple observations.

How many folks have been interviewed so far? For the month of March approximately 140

How many folks have been called for interviews in April? No one knows the exact number but lets assume the same number as Mar, 140

How many apps have been received since 12 Jan? A conservative estimate is 5000+ & the number is growing & expect the number to grow even further if other air carriers face troubled times.

So at this point less than 3% of all applicants who have filed with SWA have been called. What are the odds to be within that number...do the math, not high but for the lucky few it has been a whirlwind ride & one you will experience if patience is your virtue.

Venting is good, to me, to your wife (more dangerous), to your dog (less so depending on the dog & mood) or to fellow pilot buddies (we're all very use to it). Venting is not good to folks who may have an impact on your hiring potential. An occasional call to your friends to check in is good, however asking them to inquire on the behalf of a mystery applicant overloads the PD departments of any airline & leaves an impression on those who have to answer continuous inquiries.

Do you order the same thing on the menu everytime you sit down for dinner? Of course not. I would suspect the variety of applicants is unmatched in the history of the airline industry & therefore using different criteria each different sort is a wise thing but who knows...none of us do & worrying about it doesn't help.

Should I call the PD of the various carriers I'm applying to & casually inquire? My recommendation is no. If you have a legit question on the app or have a hiccup that is developing you need an answer for, give 'em a call, they'll be glad to answer. Should you encourage your other friends to call the PD & have them bully, cross-examine them on why they haven't been called...of course..great advice, improves your chances immensely!!:D

Seriously its like watching water boil. Don't stare at it or even spend inordinate amount of time on here reading about it unless you can do it with an emotional attachment without going into a "whoa is me" critical mass mode.

Continuinr to fly, collecting the ratings you need, building relationship are the things that will really help you. Doing the math one can see SWA has enough folks to interview continuously for 2 years without a break & more will be added to the mix all the time. Your chance will come & you can be pretty certain of it. Min time folks will be called & max time folks will be called, old, young, military, civilian but don't try to read the previous tea leaves to determine the flavor of the month....you'll only get ulcers & may hurt your chances of getting hired in the long run if impatience causes you do something you would regret later.

Feel free to PM me or chat about the subject but remember this. There are folks who are still awaiting new hire for SWA classes who have been patiently waiting for a class date for over 2.5 years. That doesn't include the time it took waiting for their app to get called for an interview.....they can tell you all about how patience pays off!! Thanks again to all of you have waited for those class dates, the time is nearing. cheers & good luck to all the hopeful interviewees. cheers & God Bless,

Chase,

Great post! It sure did help to put things into a little better perspective for me.

Here I am with three types, 2000 hours of turbine PIC (and climbing), and almost 5000 hours total time and I have yet to get a call from the only major airline I've ever wanted to fly with since day one. I can say that I'm a little impatient, wanting that elusive phone-call YESTERDAY, but I'm doing my best to sit back and relax a little. Until I get the call, I'm very happy to be where I am.

All I want for now is my shot, and I know my time will come. And when it does, I'll go give it the best effort I can. We'll see what happens after that.

Thanks again for the great post!

Chase,

Your posts are always informative, positive, and real. We thank you for your information and insight. I look forward to meeting you sometime down the road at LUV. The light is getting much brighter as the classes continue!!!

Happy flying,

RB

1st step to recovery

1. Step away from the computer & shut it down for 24 hrs on the first attempt.

2. 48 hrs

3. 72 hrs

Pretty soon you'll be able to remember your kids names 2 out of 3 times & realize you do have a life....enjoy it

"Good things come to those who wait patiently." Good luck & thanks for the kind words....back to mowing my grass & chores!

cheers,

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus

Chase,

I think you missed your calling: Are you sure you're not a therapist or marriage counselor ... and a pilot on the side? If not, maybe you should be. Your word-pictures are text book! Thanks for the excellent post. You give us a well-deserved dose of reality once in a while.

Regards,

Gremlin

Chase,

Heck, I've never even HAD an application in with SWA, and I enjoyed reading your post. Many of your words would apply to those waiting to hear from JetBlue.

Now this is why we have an "Aviation Interview" message board. Excellent work, dude!

Red :D

Chase, great post

Wow Chase that's is just a great post. When I stopped by HPA to say hi to Mark, I asked him if you were there so I could meet you in person but you weren't. I'd like to thank you for your public service to this board. Your posts never go unnoticed. Thank you...

Chase!
I gotta admit I wish I was flying with guys with your personality.

I am sure the pilots that have that priveledge are very fortunate. Again, thanks for keeping us in reality with your posts and I do enjoy reading them.

All the best!

I agree with most of what you are saying, and would never consider calling the people department or my LOR writers to check on my status. But it sure would be nice to know exactly what the magic ticket is. If I knew, maybe I could do something to improve my chances??
The two guys I personally know who got called in for an interview last month had only two things different than me. 1) Less total time, total jet time, and total PIC time. 2) Apps in prior to January 2004. It seems like everyone getting called has had apps in for a while, so that must be the ticket right now.
I remember the first post by the KU guy who said he got a call for an interview. I happened to be on this site as it posted, and someone quickly posted a reply. I'll paraphrase that reply:

For those of you who just put in online apps in January, I would not count on getting a call until at least June. There is a problem with the software that is preventing the PD from accessing applications the way they had hoped. The contractor will not have this fixed until June

This guy seemed to be in the know, a pilot for Southwest perhaps. The post did not last 15 minutes before it was pulled. I am beginning to think this guy was right. In any case, I will continue to do what you recommend - Continue to build hours and relationships, and enjoy life.
Now where's the 'off' switch on this computer. .

Boom times

Tnkrplt: Even in the old boom times it would take up to a year to get a call for an interview. It's only been 3 months if you applied in Jan. Got to have patience, as Chase so eloquently mentioned.

Best of luck.

FJ

Latest resources

Back