why do pilots need more money

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
skootertrash said:
Because many cities we overnight in have Strip Clubs. And girls in strip clubs need an education and food. And as Airline pilots it is our job to support them.

Concur... :) And it doesn't get any better than Memphis's Platinum Plus.....

Hmmmmm, I've walked by it, but figured the tooth/tattoo ratio was probably too low to go inside.

RegionalFA said:
because the flight crews have a GREAT responsibility and are treated poorly. The flying public would be greatly appalled, in my opinion, if they truely understood how much the flight crews really do for the industry.

at the regionals, many of them would make more managing a McDonalds for WAY less responsibility and MUCH more free time... and benefits.

And the agents and other airline staff don't have responsibility...?
Is Mcdonalds really hiring managers?

Re: why ask why?

climbhappy said:
i'm sure it's fun to put forth such an open topic, but really man,

aren't you pushing hot buttons, here?

when first officers are working for wages currently being paid to zit faced tenth graders, well, we're scraping the bottom of content, here.

No....that was not my intent here...just a legit question that I could not give a good answer....

so are pilots more valuable than say a mechanic or a ramp agent who has responsibility as well...

Really I am not trying to upset anyone here I am just asking the question (during contract time) that some employees are asking and I am trying to defend the flight crews...

Hopefully to fund higher education so we can ultimately earn what we think we deserve.

skootertrash said:
Because many cities we overnight in have Strip Clubs. And girls in strip clubs need an education and food. And as Airline pilots it is our job to support them.

THANK YOU...now that's why i got into this industry in the first place...the strip clubs...and the cool uniforms....(nice to see someone with a sense of humor)...:D

Re: Re: why do pilots need more money

80drvr said:
Why does anyone need more money? Should a highly skilled employee like a pilot be able to buy a median priced home in their domicile? What kind of car should they drive? What college should they send their kids to?

I can understand that but doesn't everybody...why do pilots need to be paid more...

A coworker told me (after trying to defend the superbowl picket) that pilots "must mismanage their money...I am making it on less why can't they..."

I really am trying to understand and defend crews here...(lord knows I work in a crew neutral department) so I need some reasons crews should be payed more vs. say mechanics or rampers or non-management employees

Re: Re: Re: why do pilots need more mone

rumorhasit said:
so I need some reasons crews should be payed more vs. say mechanics or rampers or non-management employees

When an engine catches fire at V1 at MGTOW in bad weather, the mechanics, rampers, and other employees aren't the ones that have to get the airplane and a bunch of people safely back on the ground. That responsibility rests solely with the flight crew.

Everyone has some sort of responsibility at their job, but pilots have a much different kind of responsibility than most people: people's lives. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only reason that needs to be given to justify high wages for pilots.

Rumor:

You are paid as a function of both the revenue that you generate and by what you can negotiate. The easier you are to replace from both a practical and cost perspective, the less negotiating power that you have. If a pilot group could be staffed with high school graduates willing to work for minimum wage, then they would be. If you are dissatisfied with what you are being paid relative to the pilots at your airline, then you need to find a job that gives you the negotiating power that you need. This generally requires additional education and / or specialized training, which is what pilots have. Get it and then you too can be on the defend side of a thread like this someday.

Latest resources

Back