Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who's a bigger bottom feeder, ASA or Mesa?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Find me a single major pilot that is getting WEEKS off, as you say, other than on vacation. I know 777 drivers that are at home for a MAXIMUM of 3-4 days between trips, and then spend the rest of their day at 380 keeping tabs on an FMS, much like you gear jockeys at ASA and Mesa.

In the freight world, not only do we haul cargo, we FLY our airplanes. 121 Pic turbine time might be important...but to who? 135 PIC turbine time is pretty good too. What would a 121 guy do when he is supposed to be flying a FA-20 out of Laredo down to Juarez and he's standing on the ramp waiting for his release...that's right you don't GET a release, do your own calculations and planning, pal! I doubt a SINGLE rj driver on this board could do any of that, if push came to shove.

Now back to the topic at hand, do the ASA and Mesa drivers ENJOY driving this industry into the ground and turning piloting into the burger flippers of the sky, or is SJS (shiny jet syndrome) just TOO strong that they can't see past the fact that they're gettin to sit in the right seat of a OMG JET!11!! even though it's at minimum wage rates. So sad.

You must work for that POS Cherry Air, right? Sounds like loads of fun!!!! Barely maintained a/c, no control of your life cause you have a 20 min. call out, Yea!!!!!

I just flew with an FO here that is right at 2 years and he holds 4 on 3 off and weekends off. Guess your friend is an idiot at bidding.

No, I don't work for Cherry Air but those guys are a good group of freighters and always fun for a late night beer at the freight-hole.

No, I don't work for Cherry Air but those guys are a good group of freighters and always fun for a late night beer at the freight-hole.

No, you don't. You work for Amerijet. Been there, done that Pendejo. Believe me, I know what you're missing out on by staying in the freight world. If you don't care to educate yourself... not my problem.

Ok, you might work for USA Jet. I have no experience there, but I can't imagine it would be a whole lot different.

Oh yeah, and you don't really fly down to Juarez from Laredo... Juarez is about 250 miles north and 400 miles west of Laredo. Ever actually flown that route or do you just sit in the right seat and stroke yourself while the Captains do all the work (which is usually the case in 135 freight ops). Hmm??

Last edited:
No, you don't. You work for Amerijet. Been there, done that Pendejo. Believe me, I know what you're missing out on by staying in the freight world. If you don't care to educate yourself... not my problem.

Ok, you might work for USA Jet. I have no experience there, but I can't imagine it would be a whole lot different.

So FmrFreightDog, are things better at ASA than at the "FreightDogs"? You would think ASA is the worst thing out there listening to you.....

I really don't want to hang around with "freighters" at the "freight hole" anymore. I'm not 22. The whole poor me, downtrodden freight dawg sch-tick is getting really tired. I want to spend time at my house with the wife.

You will also grow up someday and see that freight is a crappy job that ages you.

ASA is in a pretty crappy position right now, but it has always been one of the better regionals to work for. ASA is not a "bottom feeder" If you truly think that it only proves that you don't know dick about the 121 world.

So FmrFreightDog, are things better at ASA than at the "FreightDogs"? You would think ASA is the worst thing out there listening to you.....

Yes, Joe. I can, without a doubt, say that the quality of the job at ASA is far better than it was at the handful of freight outfits I flew for. The flying here is probably not as rewarding in an, "I alone got the job done" kind of way, but the 121 airline gig is a better deal. Among other things, in the time I've been at ASA I have not yet been sent off to an airport that was closed due to a local militia uprising (Llano San Juan, outside of Ocozocoaulta during a bad time in the Chiapas rebellion... but that's another FAR more interesting story for another time), although every time I head down to Dothan I half expect Johnny Reb to have reclaimed the airport in the name of Dixie!

In all seriousness, Joe, I bitch because I know things here could be so much better, and I feel most of our woes can be blamed on management (we will have to agree to disagree on this one). However, there can and always will be far worse places to work. I want ASA to be the best work environment possible, just like you. However, we just have different opinions on how to achieve that.

For what it's worth, you and I are not as far apart as some of my remarks may lead you to believe. Just like you, I realize ALPA has dropped the ball in a monumental way. However, (and here's where we differ) we could have the most iron-clad scope in the world, but if our management continues to fail to perform on even the most remedial level, our clients (in this case, Delta) will find a way to send their business elsewhere. Scope has been abrogated in courtroom after courtroom. Thus, while I see it as an essential contract goal, I don't think it is the penultimate answer. I tend to think the best solution lies in providing a quality product at a reasonable price (yes.. I said it.. I think we are asking for too much, and I have made my opinion known). I also think our success hinges upon having a management team capable of transforming our operation, such that it is, into a functional airline. In that regard, my freight time was more rewarding than my airline time. Say what you will about Mx, pay, schedules, and whatnot, but the people that run the small freight operations in this country know how to run a business.

Last edited:
Yes, Joe. I can, without a doubt, say that the quality of the job at ASA is far better than it was at the handful of freight outfits I flew for. The flying here is probably not as rewarding in an, "I alone got the job done" kind of way, but the 121 airline gig is a better deal. Among other things, in the time I've been at ASA I have not yet been sent off to an airport that was closed due to a local militia uprising (Llano San Juan, outside of Ocozocoaulta during a bad time in the Chiapas rebellion), although every time I head down to Dothan I half expect Johnny Reb to have reclaimed the airport in the name of Dixie!

In all seriousness, Joe, I bitch because I know things here could be so much better, and I feel most of our woes can be blamed on management (we will have to agree to disagree on this one). However, there can and always will be far worse places to work.

LOL! I hear you there Fmr- I do have a strong premanition of a "house cleaning" over at the offices once we sign a contract......or at least if we do, anyways. That will take care of your ASA management issue:laugh:. The people here make ASA what it is, on the pilot side of things anyway.

Latest resources

Back