Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DesertFalcon

Member since 1999
If, NWA and DAL merge, and CAL and UAL merge.

What will become of Southwest?
What company is going to marry Southwest?

Any ideas?

If, NWA and DAL merge, and CAL and UAL merge.

What will become of Southwest?
What company is going to marry Southwest?

Any ideas?

Just a guess, but I would say Airtran, but only with their 737-700s and some gates.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Maybe, but when the Delta and NWA merger happens, I think ATL would be pretty wrapped up by the combined carrier in regards to market share. Not sure WN want's that fight.

Just a guess, but I would say Airtran, but only with their 737-700s and some gates.

Bye Bye--General Lee

In theory, yeah, I suppose that might make "some" sense.

But Wallstreet has essentially thrown the SWA stockholder under the bus. With the dismal 'return on investment' (which has been a LOSS) for the last two years, I don't see anyone loaning SWA money.

That kind of performance for much longer means a BIG shake up.

With how SWA works from a philosophical stand-point, I think they're just going to have to sit back and watch.

In theory, yeah, I suppose that might make "some" sense.

But Wallstreet has essentially thrown the SWA stockholder under the bus. With the dismal 'return on investment' (which has been a LOSS) for the last two years, I don't see anyone loaning SWA money.

That kind of performance for much longer means a BIG shake up.

With how SWA works from a philosophical stand-point, I think they're just going to have to sit back and watch.

Do you guys actually read the stuff you write? SWA bought back like 1billion dollars of their own stock. Airtran total outstanding stock is worth about 500 million. They could buy us or trade stock for us and it would barely be a blip on their radar. Nothing makes me laugh more than the money experts on here.

Last edited:

Bye Bye--General Lee
Unlikely.

You're talking about the fragmentation of the airline and the shareholders would want a LOT more money than SWA is likely to pony up to sign off on that kind of a deal.

We're not one of the companies that's worth more in pieces than as a whole...

Nice try, though... I know you'd like to eliminate your biggest competitor in Atlanta, but you'll have to do better than that.

;)

Do you guys actually read the stuff you write? SWA bought back like 1billion dollars of their own stock. Airtran total outstanding stock is worth about 500 million. They could buy us or trade stock for us and it would barely be a blip on their radar. Nothing makes me laugh more than the money experts on here.

It was 1.8 billion of stock. But what is a few hundred million.;)

Maybe, but when the Delta and NWA merger happens, I think ATL would be pretty wrapped up by the combined carrier in regards to market share. Not sure WN want's that fight.

I'm not so sure about that.... I think that the new DAL/NWA would have to give up some gates in ATL...

Anti>trust issues are probably one of the many hurdles facing this new co.

HA! I'm no money expert, that's for sure, and yes, SWA has a stock buy-back program in place. Find a shareholder and ask what that's done for them the last several years!

Latest resources

Back