• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who has the most hours?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The guy that flew powerline partol had around 60-65K.

Before he died Piper gave him a brand new saratoga or something and he declined and said he would rather have a new supercub. He did get the supercub. That it what he used for partol out of Montgomery AL.

HMR said:
Adam Berg (DPE at VNY) claims to have 63,000hrs. Don't try ro do the math. I made the mistake of questioning how this could be possible and had to sit through a re-telling of all 63,000hrs.

I'm sure the stories included teaching Patrick Swazie (sp?) and flying and crashing Sinatra's airplane..... By far the most intersting checkride I have ever taken in my life....

Sixty thousand is all good and well, but as we all know, hours by themselves mean nothing. Squat. Zippo.

More importantly, who has the most hours, in flight, while wearing plaid? This narrows the field considerably, and more properly balances the playing field. Not everyone is employed chasing powerlines or in a 747, but everyone can wear plaid.

Or how about most bannanas consumed in flight? Most pencils broken while copying clearances? Most fillings lost while chewing gum during the enroute phase of flight?

How about the most fillings lost while chewing gum and eating a banana, by someone copying clearances enroute, who is wearing plaid?

Now add up the hours, where they really count. I believe you'll find that Edward Hargrove of Maramoke, KS, wins handily, and he has a disadvantage going in. He's blind (not legally blind...completely blind), and one of the only individuals issued an unrestricted pilot certificate and medical who is allowed to act as pilot in command while blind.

Mr. Hargrove no longer has teeth (pulled after the fillings went), and may no longer be competitive. It's assumed that the blindness accounts for the wearing of plaid on a continuing basis (Closet Scot?). The total number of hours (32, 451) aloft is high not because Mr. Hargrove follows powerlines or flies the oceanic routes, but because being blind, he's been unable to find the runway exactly 10,241 times in the past fifty years. The broken pencils are beside the point, he can't see to write. No one to date can explain the banana.

Let's hear it for Mr. Hargrove.

Are we talking logbook time or butt time as in time aloft. When the shuttle guys circle the earth does all the time count or just when they are at their assigned positions on the aircraft. We have a couple of FA's working for us that flew the DC-6's and Connie's for a major airline. How much time do they have, does that count. I am sure that some of our commuters on this board will show a lot of butt time in airplanes. I kept a butt time log just for fun one year, I found that for every hour I flew I spent another hour on my butt in an airplane. 50/50 I flew 1600 hours of butt time that year, no wonder I have hemroids.

Avbug,

Are you Dave Barry? You could definitely use his tag-line. I'd compliment you some more, but I gotta get back to my 5th attempt at landing this sim blindfolded while eating watermelon without swallowing a single seed. (Sorry, the vendor was out of bananas--said there was frost in Costa Rica or something.)

Turbo..

FAs that flew DC-6s and Connies for a major airline??? YIKES!!!! Now that's a frightening thought.

They are both guys and really cool, in their 80's if you can believe it. They are latin and can really dance, they steal all the FA's away from us on the dance floor, but they deserve them. LOL

BradG,

You fly out of KC? OJC by chance?

Jack, the pilot to whom you referred (I think) does indeed have those kinds of hours, along with 13 type ratings. Pretty amazing guy. He's 77, looks like he's 60, still jogs daily, and flies pretty much 5+ days a week. About a month ago, he went up with a fellow pilot to do some aerobatics. If you've never flown with him, he's worth getting acquainted with.

Latest resources

Back