Who got Zarqawi?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
I don't know crap about air-mud, because I flew only fighters, not bombers ;) but if it was self-lased, how did the guys get the correct house? I saw the pics. I can't imagine them trying to talk their eyes onto that one structure, as in "No you idiot, THE ONE NEXT TO THE PALM TREES BY THE CROOK IN THE ROAD!" Are the bombers given GPS coords, which are then plugged into the lasing system? How's it work?

Oh yeah, if the Zarq man was alive for a period of time, in pain - I can dig it.

To keep it generic, there are a number of ways. The first bomb was an LGB, the second a JDAM.

1. IR pointer. SOF dudes can't put the pointer on the house, you can see it with gogs or with an IR spot tracker on the targeting pod. You can then use an IR pointer in the pod to highlight the target, to which the SOF guys can say "Yup, that's the one."

2. They can lase, you can track the laser spot, then self-lase.

3. Talk on. Very tough in that situation.

4. Once the first guy took a laser mark, he can feed the coordinates to his wingman, or the wingie can take a laser mark of his own and pass the coordinates directly to the JDAM via the pickle button.

Tgp

Was that a lightning AT?
Didn't look like the sniper picture, hard to tell with the low res video I saw.

The vid is difficult to see, but I think it's an AT pod. I've got a lot of time with Lantirn and Sniper, but only two sorties with a Litening pod. Any other Guard guys with alot of Litening time want to chime in? I'd like to hear thoughts on the TV mode.

Nobody Kicks Ass without Tanker gas!

Kudo's to the tanker crews, the AWACs crews, and everyone else who had a part from the crew chiefs, bb-loaders, to the hash slingers.

Way to Go!

My hat is off to all of you FINE folks in the military. Way to get that no good SOB. My dad(a rhino driver) is smiling from above knowing one of his fellow AF bretheren waxed this no good POS.

We can only hope this is true:

Witness Says U.S. Troops Beat Al-Zarqawi After Bombing

POSTED: 10:33 am EDT June 10, 2006
UPDATED: 10:44 am EDT June 10, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- An Iraqi man who was one of the first people on the scene after an airstrike that led to the death of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi told Associated Press Television News that he saw American troops beating a man who had a beard like the al-Qaida leader.
The witness said he saw the man lying on the ground, badly wounded but still alive. He said U.S. troops arriving on the scene wrapped the man's head in an Arab robe and began beating him. His account cannot be independently verified.
The spokesman for the U.S.-led forces in Iraq says troops tried to provide medical attention after they saw that al-Zarqawi was alive but he recognized them as American troops and tried to get away.
Major Gen. William Caldwell said the troops "re-secured" al-Zarqawi back onto the stretcher before he died almost immediately.
// Set DC ad position if(typeof dcadposition == 'undefined')dcadposition = 1; else dcadposition++; if (typeof segQS == 'undefined')segQS=''; if (typeof adid == 'undefined')adid='false'; document.write(""); dcmaxversion = 7dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion if ((!document.images && navigator.userAgent.indexOf("Mozilla/2.") >= 0) || navigator.userAgent.indexOf("WebTV")>= 0) { document.write(""); document.write(""); }

The two 500-pound bombs that obliterated al-Zarqawi's Iraqi hideout cut a wide swath of destruction.
There are no remaining walls in the house. Scattered among the debris of concrete blocks is a pillow with a floral pattern, sandals, a foam mattress, a cooler and part of a washing machine.
A skimpy slip in a leopard skin pattern and other see-through pieces of women's clothing were also found. Three women were among those killed in the house.
Insurgents Vow To Continue Fight In Wake of al-Qaida Leader's Death
Meanwhile, Iraqi insurgent groups said they'll continue to fight after al-Zarqawi's death.
They've sent condolences in Web messages and warned Sunnis not to cooperate with the Iraqi government.
One group posted a video showing militants interrogating and then beheading three Iraqis accused of belonging to a Shiite "death squad" that killed Sunnis.
The posting suggests insurgents want to show that al-Zarqawi's death has not weakened their resolve. It also marks a vicious return to form.
Hostage beheadings had been less common in recent months -- perhaps as al-Zarqawi came under criticism for the slayings, observers have said.
Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back