Which laptop do you recommend?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILStoMinimums

Whay laptop would you recommed these days? I'm looking at purchasing one in the $1500 range. I'd be using it mostly on the road and at home. Thoughts/Advice................?

I just bought an ACER travelmate and I love it. It was around a 1000.00. Not a name brand, but still high quality. I think you actually may save money from it. A friend of mine recommended it to me and so far I am very happy with it.

ILStoMinimums said:
Whay laptop would you recommed these days? I'm looking at purchasing one in the $1500 range. I'd be using it mostly on the road and at home. Thoughts/Advice................?

The obvious answer is the smallest, lightest, fastest, best equiped model you can find. Get one that is durable. I took one with me and got about a year out of it before the casing cracked, taking the mother board with it. Having to take it out and run it through security once, and sometimes two or three times a day can take it's toll.

I wish panosonic would build a cheaper toughbook.

ILStoMinimums said:

After having an HP and a Dell, both with 15" displays, I say go for the smallest/lightest you can find. I'm currently using a Sony TR3AP, it's 3.5 pounds, has built in wireless, a 10.4" screen (with a great coating that maximizes brightness, can't recall the name of it) and it's wide format for DVDs. It is the size of a book and fits in any flight back. (Try that with a Dell). Since you have to remove your laptop at security, the Sony is a breeze to take out and put back in. Plenty fast for everything but video editing. You can pick them up for around $1400.

If you go the Mac route, the 12" iBook is pretty slick and it's small too. The Unix flavored operating system is less prone to viruses etc.

The first HP (and the Dell) were decked out with DVD burners, big drives, etc. They just end up weighing too much. The problem with the Dell is the brick they call a power supply. Both the Apple and the Sony's have cigarette pack size power supplies. Hope it helps.

ILS... wait until you are basically indoctrinated and use your CAL employee discount to buy the computer.

Tina Fey's Scar said:
ILS... wait until you are basically indoctrinated and use your CAL employee discount to buy the computer.

OK.....can you emphasize a bit?

And for the books I'm a windows guy.

Nostromo,

What do you think of the small 10.4" screen? Isn't that a bit on the small side? I definately want something durable, light weight, descent speed and affordable.

Dell 700M has worked well for me so far.

It's light (4.1 lbs) and easily fits in a flight bag etc. Mine has a 1.6 ghz Centrino, 60 gig HD, and a 12.1" widescreen (great for DVDs) so it does everything except for heavy video editing or 3D games. I bought it in Oct. while Dell had their one day $750 off sale. The total came to $870 for a $1500+ notebook! So far no problems and I use the thing all the time. Battery life could be a little longer, but the extended (optional) battery will give around 5+hrs on one charge. I use the lighter 2.5 hour battery to keep the weight down while traveling.

I also looked at the 12" & 15" Powerbook but found this to be a better deal.

Latest resources

Back