Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Check Essential

Where to near Miami/Ft. Lauderdale?

I’m thinking about bidding for MIA and moving to southern Florida. I’m a single North Easterner in my mid thirties. I’d need to be somewhat close to the airport because I’ll be on reserve for quite a while.

I really want to buy a home with a garage, so I'd be interested in either a garage townhouse or a small house. I’d also like to eventually keep a small fishing boat on a trailer (19’-21’), so I’d like to be relatively close to a launch. I don't know if this is doable, but I'd like to spend not more than $300K.

I’ve looked online, but I simply don’t have any idea where I’m looking. Can anyone recommend some towns or neighborhoods that are near the beach/water that would meet the above description? Just trying to get some direction.

TIA.

CE

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think your price is way off. If you are gonna be in any decent area close to the Airport and the beach, you are gonna spend 500k on a house. Decent townhouses are 300k and not on the water. I would look in the Coconut Grove area if you can afford it. If I were you I would consider moving north into Ft. Lauderdale, or Pompano Beach, and just dealing with the commute. I think Miami sucks, actually, but I won't tell you what I really think.

Back in the early 90s, I lived in a one bedroom apartment on the beach in Bal Harbour, and it was not that expensive. Probably not the best for you though. My buddy lived in an apartment just north of 163 st on the ocean side of the intercoastal I think. He kept his boat at the slips for the apartment complex.

Surfside is a little town next to Bal Harbour with small houses, but I don't know if they are less than 300K.

You should try checking on the west side of the intracoastal N of 135 st and east of US1 all the way up to Aventura area. You are about 30 minutes from the airport. Hollywood area could be a possibility too. Once you get south of 135th, you start to get into some rougher neighborhoods, but east of US 1 is still probably OK.

So...try N Miami Beach, Bal Harbour, Dania, Aventura, Hollywood Beach. I am not too familiar with S Miami. If you are looking to take your boat into the ocean, consider how far you will be from an inlet.

I have a 4 bedroom 2 car garage house with a large back yard 2.0 miles from Exec. I bought it for 100K 18 years ago. Now it is worth 230K and climbing. MIA is exactly 42 minute drive from my front yard. I am 8.0 driving miles from the beach and 8.0 driving miles from the Everglades. 2.0 driving miles from Calvary Chapel of Ft. Lauderdale. Overall not a bad place to live as long as you love people. I forgot the temp outside today is suppose to reach 77 degrees and I am on my way to watch and play a couple of baseball games.

Sounds like Ft. Lauderdale is a better option. That's fine as long as I can make it to MIA in 90 minutes.

Any particular areas around FLL that meet the above requirements?

Thanks again!

CE

wilton manors, victoria park, imperial point, rio vista(pricey), poinsetta heights, middle river terrace (good value). good luck. PM me if you want my Realators number.

If you're not in the pilots with guns program already, you should look into the Florida concealed weapons permit.
Welcome to the Sunshine State!

Yes. Fort Lauderdale is a better option. Nobody lives in Miami unless they have to, or unless they have enough money to buy themselves into a super rich gated subdivision on the water. Ft. Lauderdale is maybe 45 minute from MIA. Pompano and Deerfield Beach are nice too.

That 90 minute thing sounds awful familiar. Are you working for Miami Air. If you are about half of us live up in the Ft. Lauderdale area, some live in West Palm. You may get 2 to 3 90 minute call outs a year max. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yeah Miami is a mess.......The closer you are to I-75 - Turnpike in FLL the quicker you will get to Miami. Forget about I-95

Just thinking about it living anywhere close to the beach 0-5miles, will be expensive and a pain to get around.

Penbroke Pines is a nice area > I-75 > I595 >to Launch area no more then 20min drive. 35min-40 drive to MIA.

Latest resources

Back