• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where to live in ATL area?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can also check out Roswell and Sandy Springs. Dunwoody is a good area, too.

Don't listen to the dorks who drive 2 hours to work because they want to live on a farm near a lake with their banjo, arsenal, and bible.

In the city is where you need the arsenal.

I vote for the PTC. Lots more "transplants" there than "locals." Newnan has too many rednecks. Of course, the new outdoor mall in Newnan (Ashley Park) is bigger than the one in PTC. You can split the difference between PTC and Newnan in Sharpsburg. If you do PTC, most of the schools are as everyone has said, good. Newnan schools are hit or miss...my wife was a teacher with the Coweta County Schools. If you live in Newnan you're on I-85, the gateway to Alabama! That alone is reason to move there...NOT! As for the drive to the airport, it takes the same time going from PTC to the airport as it does from Bullsboro in Newnan due to traffic lights from PTC.

To that I would like to add West End or Mechanicsville. Both great places to raise children.

Check out Cumming. Affordable, Lake, Mountains not far. 45 mins without traffic. Cannot commute during rush hour though. Also has great shopping and a lot to do.

What he said.

Find Canton draw a line along GA-20 over to Cumming.

Anything South of that is a disaster waiting to happen and I don't recommend living there.

Also, take "best schools" with a grain of salt. All over metro ATL you will hear parents at the local Waffle House brag their rug rats go to the best school in their county and what they are saying is their kids go to the best out of the worst schools in the county. Georgia public education is a joke compared to a private education, and it's a joke when compared nationally to other state's public eduction systems.

I was at a party this weekend with several "old" friends in their 30's and 3 of them will be downloading within the next 6 months. Every last one of them already is planning and saving for a private school including Woodward which is something like $16K/yr now. Ridiculously expensive but worth every penny. These aren't wealthy couples either...these couples have high 5, very low 6 digit household incomes.

While I don't have kids, I would live in a re-po'd single-wide and walk to work before my child received a Georgia public education.

Just my .02

What he said.

Find Canton draw a line along GA-20 over to Cumming.

Anything South of that is a disaster waiting to happen and I don't recommend living there.

Also, take "best schools" with a grain of salt. All over metro ATL you will hear parents at the local Waffle House brag their rug rats go to the best school in their county and what they are saying is their kids go to the best out of the worst schools in the county. Georgia public education is a joke compared to a private education, and it's a joke when compared nationally to other state's public eduction systems.

I was at a party this weekend with several "old" friends in their 30's and 3 of them will be downloading within the next 6 months. Every last one of them already is planning and saving for a private school including Woodward which is something like $16K/yr now. Ridiculously expensive but worth every penny. These aren't wealthy couples either...these couples have high 5, very low 6 digit household incomes.

While I don't have kids, I would live in a re-po'd single-wide and walk to work before my child received a Georgia public education.

Just my .02

get your facts straight.. http://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/schoolrank.aspx?pagetype=top10&level=3

Hmmm, looks like East Cobb/Cherokee schools ARE amoung the best in the state. And aside from Columbus, and the other private prep schools, they are all top 5'ers..

and your line along Ga. 20?? I wouldnt go ABOVE that line..

Just my .02

Awesome! Parenting advice from a non-parent.

Morningside, Inman, Grady... Schools in the city that the young professionals are comfortable with. They can afford private school as well.

It should be noted that as I read this thread I should put up a massive disclaimer. If you are scared of:
1. Black people
2. Gay people
3. Poor people
4. Rich people
5. People different than you
DO NOT LIVE IN THE CITY!!! Peachtree City is your place.

Atlanta is one of the few cities in the world where you can live in a neighborhood with a lawn... in the city. Not near the city. I'm talking a 3 bed house in the center of the city at a fair price. Why anyone would pass up that opportunity... I don't know.

Atl is not a nice place to be nor be from. Best part of Atlanta I have ever seen is in my rearview mirror! Let us not get into the race factor in that smithole.

Latest resources

Back