• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's up at Gemini?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So today I find out Gemini isn't paying any of us they terminated 2 days before the bankruptcy court allowed them into chapter 11. The reply was you have to get a lawyer to deal with it, we cant do anything about it. Im glad I put in 11months with such a scumbag operator for nothing and the chief pilot tells me well this is only temp. we will be calling all of you md11 guys back in late Aug-sept. I cant wait for that call so i can tell them where to shove it

Atleast you got a call from Matt. I didn't know about it until today. Hopefully Gemini will get through this and the guys get their jobs back. Thanks for the higher seniority number ;)

AB

I have heard a rumor on the street that as many as 2 and up to 4 of the Gemini MD-11s will be going to World Airways. Anyone else heard as much?

There will be no merger, so don't worry about that. Worry about Matlin Patterson Global Opportunies Partners II, the vulture fund that raped and pillaged ATA, saddled it with the debt from purchasing WLDA, and torched it.

I believe they are in the process of closing on Arrow Air, and a company like Gemini fits right into their M.O. They are eager to resurrect their South American interests, since their Variglog deal turned to sh!t and they had to run around S.A. repo'ing airplanes this winter.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Capt Seth,

With all due respect how do you figure ATA was saddled with debt to buy World and NAA. ATA was losing money when MP bought it and never turned it around. Now WLDA and NAA are stuck with the debt to service that MP has put into the venture of buying all 3 carriers. World was making money and continues to make money and had 50+ million in the bank when it was bought. The only reason WLDA was sold was our idiots got us delisted buying NAA because thier accounting practices would not meet Sarbanes Oxley standard. The only way for those idiots to line thier pocket was find an investor with enough capitol to take it private. It worked and they walked with millions in thier pocket. As far as I see it ATA could not have been saddled with the debt anymore than another carrier. The debt still exists so if it was ATA's only to carry it would have gone away in BK but it has not. The way I see it MP bought ATA hoping to turn it around, could not and cut the losses, without MP's money ATA would have folded quicker. It surely sucks what happened but I have heard too many folks try and lay the blame at WOA or NAA feet for the demise of ATA because of some supposed debt they were saddled with. The demise of ATA started well before MP or GAL existed. I believe we have a common concern with MP and GAL but it has been interesting to hear the differences of how the events played out from each side of the fence.

You're right good luck to us all!

I disagree, regarding the debt and I may add all significant operational support effectively ended when the GAL transaction closed. M-P picked the operation with the highest labor costs, and deliberately tanked it.

World and NAA - if they are profitable now - are only so because of the HUGE windfall of business they recieved as a result of the lion's share of the AMC flying being re-directed to those properties. They'll look like hero's when they launch the IPO - at the expense of 2,500 ATA employees and their families.

How are our former DC-10's working out for you, by the way?

Last edited:
I disagree, regarding the debt and I may add all significant operational support effectively ended when the GAL transaction closed. M-P picked the operation with the highest labor costs, and deliberately tanked it.

World and NAA - if they are profitable now - are only so because of the HUGE windfall of business they recieved as a result of the lion's share of the AMC flying being re-directed to those properties. They'll look like hero's when they launch the IPO - at the expense of 2,500 ATA employees and their families.

How are our former DC-10's working out for you, by the way?

Where was the big difference in labor costs i.e. was it pilots/FA's/MX etc. The way I figured WOA's F/A's are making much more than either other groups and have a more resrictive contract in many ways. ATA's wide body was close but you had less than half of the pilot group on wide body pay as thier were mostly 737 and 757 crews. WOA is 430 at wide body rates and for Capt's is the same rate there is not a graduating scale. WOA has approx. 160 Capts on wide body pay for 20 +/- acft at the time of ATA's demise.

World was making money before GAL and still is that has not been a problem in the current DOD demands as for NAA not as far I have heard.

The DC-10's are a challenge but we have the advantage of 35+ years operating them and we did not suffer big losses of our best MX's like ATA did. When Fedex dropped ATA for performance issues it was too bad as the stars lined up against ATA. The way I see it the heavy checks were being done at SAT and they are hacks at best. ATA did not have the money to spend or the right facility add the wrong decision to do AMC instead of working out the kinks for a year did not help. The best MX's had left for greener pastures and ATA was using contract MX too heavily. Your MEL was pretty restrictive from what I had heard maybe poorly written. It took much longer to get the DC-10's on the program than forecast and MP lost patience which is why 3 were shuffled to WOA. I am glad to see more airframes but was not happy with the source. I have nothing but respect for ATA's crews got knee walking more than once with them and felt they were screwed. I do not however buy off on the notion WOA or NAA shares any of the blame and the debt is still there to MP and WOA will carry the lion share since we are making money. Last I heard NAA is not still and one thing for sure its tough to get reliable intel as much BS flies around and you have to sift through it all to make sense.

One last thing while we did pick up some flying we were pretty close to maxxxed out before but since ATA's demise NWA and United are regulars in KWI. In fact NWA got a 200 out of the desert just to pick up AMC and had it ready to go soon after ATA was gone. Maybe a little prior planning on thier part to partake of the Gov't cheese.

Take care and I have enjoyed the respectful exchange as I am concerned about the events that have unfolded and the ones to come. Brace,Brace, Brace comes to mind.

Take care and good luck! MD11Drvr

MD11 Drvr, I don't think you will change Cat. Seth's mind. It's plainly obvious he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to place blame on fellow pilots instead of the corporate weenies or maybe his own company.

But I appreciate the posts, very educational.

MD11 Drvr, I don't think you will change Cat. Seth's mind. It's plainly obvious he has a chip on his shoulder and wants to place blame on fellow pilots instead of the corporate weenies or maybe his own company.

But I appreciate the posts, very educational.

Dutch,

I am not exactly trying to change anyones mind but just to expand my own. I reserve the right to "agree to disagree" at all times. I am sympathetic to the situation but still feel the bullet was down range with ATA long before MP and GAL. Its unfortunate but we are all along for the ride so to speak where it comes to incompetent management. Welcome to aviation in the 21st century.

Total B.S. The only windfall was short lived, picking up the troops ATA left stranded. I will say this slowly, we are not on your AMC team. Your team picked up your long term flying (NWA and Omni). The only thing we got were 2 old DC-10's you could not run and $350 million of debt. Oh and when no one would lend ATA a dime in the end we (WOA) gave you (ATA) $20 million. Lay blame for your airline's demise somewhere else not WOA.

Too bad your lawsuit to take our seats did not work out. You might have been my captain. Now that would have been something, B737 FO to the street then straight to MD-11 Captain.

Bel

Latest resources

Back