What's Up at CommuteAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NEDude said:
I recently left CommutAir but can back up CA1900. MX there is top notch. No junior manning, 12 days off per bid (28 days/bid), no pressure from mgmt to push the limits (you say it's unsafe - end of story) and the best crews to fly with.

CommutAir does have its problems, don't get me wrong, but overall I enjoyed my five years there.

Spent time there also! It is what it is! Small airline, these guys (mx) know the 1900D's like no others, the flying you get is great....... But thats about it! When you look at your paycheck, it really humbles you. Back when I was there you got paid on a weekly basis! I was getting about 260.00 a check! That was 1040.00 a month, or about 12,500 a year as a FO. I was making more money as a Flight Instructor at FSI. I know the pay has gone up (16.00) since i was there. But I had college loans, flying loans... I was still calling mom and pops to help pay my bills... ouch
You can imagine how I freaked out at PDT when I was in my second week of groundschool and they handed me a check for 960.00 bucks.. And with the working contract at PDT, you were making more as a FO at PDT then a Captain at Commutair. Its tuff.
Good place to get your time, and if you can live off the pay then get a fast upgrade and move on. I don't regret leaving, but it did take me awhile to upgrade at PDT. While a few of my buddies stuck it out there and got the PIC time faster then me and are at AirTran, And a few other places.
You fly a 1900, fun plane, great in icing condition! But its a 19 seat aircraft and the pay is tuff!

I would avoid this place as if it had herpes. It will literally make your blood pressure rise 50%, no joke. No complaints at all on crews or maintenance. But dude theres no retirement, The 1900 is a good airplane but trust me, when your on the ramp getting treated like a red-headed step child from Continental your gonna be pissed. Also 12 days off a month sucks. the pay is horrible. Also 70% and this is a true statistic, 70% of the pilots make a lateral move, comair, coex, chatauqua, air wis etc, etc. Only 9 pilots that I know of been hired from here to a major. Why on earth would you come here? The owners are full of sh1T. They stole money from there own employees. Does this sound like a good company?yeah you'll have fun flying the crews here are a lot of fun, but man go to colgan, chatauqua. Get bigger plane experience. I recommend you stay as a flight instuctor until you can get on at chatauqua. I have an interview coming up there soon. Upgrade time is 18 months...

commutair said:
Only 9 pilots that I know of been hired from here to a major....

Well, trust me there were dozen's, probably 100's of pilots hired directly from commutair to majors.

Otherwise you are correct, I would avoid them.

Latest resources

Back