Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the QOL for Reserve FO's at AirTran?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bob_Sacamano

Hello all,

I was wondering how many days off a reserve FO should expect at AirTran? Also, how much flight time should one expect? Is the call-out 2 hours? Is it easy to pick up extra flying to supplement the first-year pay? Are they pretty good at working with you regarding days off, etc.? How many months should someone expect to remain on reserve before getting a line? Any other useful info you can share?

It looks like most folks are very happy at AirTran, but I'd just like some additional info.

Many thanks,
Brad

The only thing I know is that the call out is 90 minutes.

Phaedrus said:
The only thing I know is that the call out is 90 minutes.

And even that is wrong. The call out is 120 minutes.

Days off depend on the month and the amount of coverage. I've seen the normal 11-12 days off all the way up to 17 day off reserve lines when I was on reserve in 03. You can fly on your days off for extra pay. The reserve rules are very pilot friendly regarding pay. Some of our highest paid pilots are reserve pilots. You could probably plan on at least 85 hours of credit pay a month while on reserve with the opportunity to bank around 95-105 hours if you try. All this while only flying between 50-80 hours of actual block time. I commute so when I was on reserve I'd fly in the evening before a block of reserve days. I'd have a uniform in hand and make a call to scheduling as soon as I arrived in Atlanta. Sometimes they'd need an overnight covered and I'd go straight to work and work a deal to finish my reserve block of days earlier or just take the pay. You won't be dissapointed with the first year pay even if you have to sit reserve for an extended period of time.

IAHERJ

How Is Commute

Where do you commute from and generally with what airline? Is it Airtran or is it offline. Just wondering since I am planning (if ever hired) to commute from CHS.

Thanks, HERC

I commute offline on Delta mostly but on occasion I 2 leg commute using SWA and AirTran. Delta treats you well and some flights are ASA (multiple jumpseats). At least half of the AirTran pilots commute so you will be in great company. CHS should be an easy commute on Delta/Delta Connection. I see us flying there in the future as well. You always have the option of driving to SAV and taking AirTran to be sure you make it in during busy periods of the year. I commute from Central Texas and my "sure thing" is a 2.5 hour drive to HOU to catch AirTran the night before. Can be a pain sometimes but that is life.

IAHERJ

I'm on reserve now--as we speak. 10 days off is the norm. Each reserve day (4a-6p) or (10A-12A) pays 3.5 hours...so 20 x 3.5 = 70 hours, the guarentee. Then there's ready reserve, which is typically 4 hours and pays 4 hours. FLying on reserve is hit or miss, depends on which airplane. The -71 guys and gals are flying lots vs. the -73 folks. Obviously that changes month to month. Hope this helps.

Reserve sucks, period, just like anywhere else, but recently it has gotten worse.

The company lost an arbitration and had to start paying pilots for every hour you flew each day above your reserve pay of 3.5 hours, regardless of whether you flew the 70 hour guarantee, or not. In other words, if you showed up on Day 1 and were assigned a 4 day that paid 24 hours, your credit would be 80 hours for the month, even if you never flew again. . . . pretty schweet, but the company decided to make life horrible for those hapless reserve pilots, and started reinterpreting all of the rules regarding reserve pilots . . . very childish, and squandered a lot of goodwill between the pilots and the company.

The good news is that you can expect to spend only a few months on reserve, if hiring stays like it has been.

I am on reserve here and so far they have kept me busy. Today is the 7th and I already have over 82 hours credit, that will increase I am sure.

Reserve stinks wherever you are. If hiring does continue reserve should not be too long.

My commute from MSY is great. Flights are usually full but the jumpseat works.

Overall I am happy with the people I have flown with and to my surprise scheduling, yes scheduling, has done two favors for me with regards to getting home. That's probably the last two freebies of my career.

Anyway, life is OK and will get better. Now if we could do something about the cost of medical insurance!!!

BigEasy

Reserve sucks, but if you are willing to bid standups you may only be on it for one month. I hear that some standup lines go junior to the typical reserve line. People bitch, but compared to where I came from the standup lines are cake (You only have to do three in a row and get three full days off. I have a build up line now and will probably get standups next month. I may be able to completely dodge a full reserve line (fingers crossed)!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back