whats the name for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hotrod

When you are watching an air show, and see a fighter jet pull up hard or pull heavy "G's", or on a high humidity day aircraft slow on final have the condensation above the wing.
Is there an official name for this, or is it simply condensation?
thanks

There are a couple of terms. If it is simply condensation above the wings, most other fighter guys will call it either "condensation," "cons," or "vapor," as in "he was pulling a lot of vapor during his break, so I knew he had energy."

If the condensate is forming in rope-like pairs off of the wingtips (Eagles), wingtips (Hornets) or off of the interior chines of a Viper (just outside of the canopy along where the wing root joins the fuselage), we call them "ribbons."

Last edited:
Joshrk22 said:
Contrails, I believe.
Contrails occur at high altitude and mainly as a result of the exhaust of the engines. Basically contrails are man made clouds.

I am not sure of the term but it has do do with the low pressure and low temp created over the wing resulting in water vapor. I am pretty sure it is condensation.

Last edited:
CRJDog said:
Contrails occur at high altitude and mainly as a result of the exhaust of the engines. Basically contrails are man made clouds.

I am not sure of the term but it has do do with the low pressure and low temp created over the wing resulting in water vapor. I am pretty sure it is condensation.

Oh yah that is right, vapor trails it must be.

Little BFM clue: If the vapor trails are coming from the wingtips, the F-16 is fast and in a high energy state. If they're coming over the wing root, the jet is slow and in a low energy state.

MAGNUM!! said:
Little BFM clue: If they're coming over the wing root, the jet is slow and in a low energy state.

... and about to get gunned by the Hornet which will shortly be on his six.

:D

Latest resources

Back