Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's going on w/ International Jumpseating?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Knightball

Heavy User
Anybody know how to avoid the head ache I put up with last week when trying to j/s internationally on SkyTeam partners? I work for a red tail regional and apparently "the policies have changed." I've never had a problem with DAL, or even AA, going int'l, but last week I was told in MEM that OUR scheduling or pass bureau had to list me for the jumpseat on a NWA flight if leaving the country. News to me as well as scheduling and the pass bureau...niether of which knew how to help me. I was told at the ticket counter that both Mesaba and Pinnacle have the same policy in place now. No, I didn't pay the $50 registration fee, thus the j/s request.

One NWA ticket counter agent hung me out to dry and played the stupid routine, "I can't do it for you, talk to your company." When I got company on the line he refused to talk to them. Another agent was able to list me for the j/s, but it was a major ordeal for him, took several phone calls and 20 minutes, no joke.

In addition, attempting to leave Mexico while in uniform, I had a CAL agent ask me if I was a pilot or a flight attendant. What? I politely explained "pilot" and watched as he punched a few key strokes and said I couldn't jumpseat on CAL. How is that? What am I missing?

Please don't turn this into a "j/sing is a privilige not a right", or a "you must be a prick" thread, as a long time commuter I'm aware of how one should act. This ain't my first rodeo j/sing in and out of the country either...just wondering if anybody knows the new routine to ease future pains. In the meantime, I suggest Sun Country.

Thanks.

Last edited:
CAL has a problem with CASS so not sure on their jumpseat situation. I've gone Int'l on NWA and just had them do it at the gate. No problem .. just had to talk in funny accent.

Continental has a separate list for Int'l vs Domestic jumpseat. Most regionals are NOT on it. American has the same policy. Northwest, United, Delta, and USAirways have the same Int'l list as Domestic.

The Northwest agent was not trained correctly and was giving you the runaround, I've jumpseated across the pond several times on them without a problem. Rather than vent here, contact your union's jumpseat coordinator with specific details. They'll work with the NW jumpseat coordinator to see what happened and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately most agents either don't know how or simply don't want to be bothered with International Jumpseats in my experience.
I have always used United to get across he pond and they have been the best in my experience. That being said I dont think it should have been as hard as it was.

so what airlines will not give you hassle jumpseating internationally if you're a CASS member pilot? my airline has limited "international travel days" and I don't want to pay to get across the pond...so being a member of CASS how do I jumpseat international? is it all taken care of at the gate? what airlines will allow this? thanks a lot..

Latest resources

Back