• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What should I do now?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're right - I did contradict myself. I knew that was going to come back to haunt me, but I don't mind discussing that. When I was a brand new charter pilot, I was afraid to say no, so I did some trips that weren't on the up and up, but I quickly learned that I was doing the wrong thing. I think that may be why my former employers were so very upset with me, because I did one thing at first, and then I wouldn't do it anymore. I guess that complicated things for me, in a way. So, after a couple of trips that I let them push me to do, I figured that if I wanted to be an old pilot, I better start doing things the right way. Does that explain it?

I don't mind criticism, and I don't think you flamed me. I am looking to learn everything I can from this experience, so if anybody sees anything else like that, bring it up. This way I can learn the right way to answer in an interview situation. Thank you all!

Just another note. Simple law.

An employer may not terminate an employee while he or she is working within the "scope" of their employment. In other words, you legally cannot be fired for using the knowledge that they hired you for as long as you were acting in good faith within the rules and regulations of the FARS and being paid for your services.

That's the law...

Hey Boeingman,
It's nice to hear that you have some appreciation for what it's like for us that have to come up the hard way. Perhaps now, you, and others, can understand that you have no idea what it's like to work for a regional, or even what it took to get that job.

To the original question, I would tell the truth. You never know how they might find out, and you would worry about it for the rest of your life. I have had several people tell me about situations where they didn't tell the truth in an interview, and now can never apply to that airline again, or were even thrown out after they worked there for awhile. The situation you were in is explainable, but lying to a new employer is not. You can make this a plus, don't make another mistake. Your new employer will understand. If you don't tell the whole truth, you miss an opportunity to look like an upstanding person, and you also stoop to your former employer's level. Good luck to you.

Wrongful termination

Actually, if a state is an at-will employment state, and most states are, you can be canned at any time for no reason. By the same token, you can resign at any time, for no reason, and without giving notice. Having to give notice to an employer is an old wive's tale. The circumstances of the termination will dictate whether you're eligible for a full award, partial award or no award of unemployment benies.

I got canned from my last aviation job because my students whined to my bosses that they didn't think they'd pass their instrument rides. Truth was, we hadn't finished the course and, no, at that point they wouldn't have passed their rides because they weren't ready to take them. I was given the option of being fired for unprofessional conduct or resigning. I resigned. I knew they figured that if I resigned they would escape paying me unemployment. I told Unemployment the facts. I told it I resigned. Asking for a resignation is tantamount to being fired. I was denied initially and went to hearing, where I explained the circumstances and was awarded full benefits. It pays to know the law.

Last edited:
What should I do ?

You did the right thing! As a student pilot I am appalled at the number of times I have read of similiar incidents occuring in our profession. Always stand your ground and maintain your personal minimums. You may rest assured that should you become a smoking hole, the company will Not be blaimed, but your good name will be. Good on you and the best of luck. Remember, attitude determines altitude. You're very much on the way up!!

Latest resources

Back