Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What kind of training did this guy get??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer7SA

A hijacking scare at SFO turned out to be a simple mistake -- a pilot dialing the wrong number.

It started when a Mexicana Airlines flight from Mexico City had radio problems Monday night. The pilot dialed the plane's location transponder to what the thought was the code for radio trouble.

"The code is similar to the one for hijacking," said Mike McCarron, airport spokesperson. "So when he entered that code it came up as a hijack, and when the air traffic controllers tried to contact the aircraft, he couldn't hear them because he was having radio problems. So that got everyone's attention very quickly."

After the plane landed, police sent it to a far corner of the tarmac. They took the pilot off the plane with his hands in the air, and passengers were kept on the aircraft for more than two hours.

--Flyer7SA

I hate to admit it but....

I just started my instrument training a few weeks ago and the other day my instructor asked me what I would tune the transponder to in case of a loss of comms. I replied 7700.(wrong answer). He corrected me with 7600. I’m not defending the guy but... well I guess I am a little.:D

I do realize though that with the current situation of terrorism transponder frequencies are something that should be given very strict attention to, along with the rest of the flight procedures.

Ryan

Misunderstandings can be common when the pilot's first language is not English. In this day and age, though, that can cause even more problems.
I remember reading that on the morning of 9/11/01, we came pretty close to shooting down a Korean Airlines 747 near Alaska after ATC thought they were hijacked. When ATC asked them to confirm their report, the crew thought they were being told to set the transponder to the hijack code, so they did.

Idiots.

Coming back from Europe a year ago and the controller gave us a new squawk. Our old squawk was something like 6524. Our new one was something like 2304. Well, the non-flying pilot intended to roll the last two digits to ..04, actually set ..00. Then he proceeded to roll the first two digits UP, instead of down. So, the first twist of the wrist stopped at the hijack code. Without noticing or hesitation, he continued the twist until he got the desired number entered.

In that brief pause, we got a hit from ATC radar. All the controller said was "you didn't mean to do that ....did you???"

Moral of the story, on new RTUs (radio tuning units) where each knob controls two digits, NEVER roll your new squawk anywhere near the 7000s! Thankfully, we had an understanding controller!

2000Flyer

I used to have the habbit of changing squak codes while still leaving the transponder in the ALT position. Now I make sure it goes to STBY before I change any codes, just in case I happen to come across one of those codes.

As an 18 yr FAA controller and pilot, I can second Hydro's post on this. Make SURE you ALWAYS go to stby on the transponder prior to changing any code. If you looked at radar coverage's around, you may be interrogated by half a dozen radars in a few seconds. If, while you are changing the code, not even close to any of the emergency codes, there is an flight plan in the system with a beacon code assigned but the aircraft has not departed and the beacon interrogator on the radar picks up the code as you are flipping numbers it will DM that code. Meaning a Departure Message is now in the system for that code ie the plane has departed so the flight plan is active. Now there are controllers looking for the plane and calling the tower to see where he is. A short version of the whole story but just to illustrate things a bit. I always brief my F/O's to do it that way. Most of the more experienced ones already know, but some of the lower time folks did not understand the reason behind that.
Just for general info!!

Hi!

To: atrdriver

When a controller calls you, you need to respond.

If they ask you to change your squawk, you need to respond. My idea is to cut down on radio traffic:

If ATC asks me to change my squawk I coud:
ONLY change my transponder code, which he will see when radar interrogates me
or
change my transponder code, and hit IDENT

Is one of the two above a good idea, or should I do the standard, call him back on the radio, and then change my squawk (this is 2x communication and takes an extra radio call?)

Cliff
GRB

Note: When ATC asks me to call him on a different freq, I generally go to the new freq and acknowledge him on that freq, including the new frequency number, instead of acknowledging him on the old freq, and acknowledging him again on the new freq.

Cliff,
If it were me I would reply with your call sign and the new code, and then just change it. The new code is already tagged on your data block and as soon as the interrogator sees it, the data will update and continue to track. Indenting is not really needed. I understand completely about cutting radio chatter, but usually when they make a transmission to you, they are usually standing by for a response, unless they as you to 'standby on the readback.
Chris

Latest resources

Back