What kind of plane should I buy?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagleflip

Given the number of our bretheren that are out of jobs right now, I apologize in advance for placing such a blatant "I want..." post on the board. However, I need a bit of advice.

Looks like I may have to change my goal of building an RV-8; it's just a bit too much money and time for now, given my present work and family situation. The new dream: simply owning an airplane. A used a/c is the plan, as all of the new ones simply cost too much.

What are my criteria? Something used that will cost around 25-35K, two seats, aerobatic, preferably a taildragger (real pilots fly them, I heard) and not slow as molasses. OK, just a little faster than molasses. I was thinking about a Citabria or Decathalon, but am open to other suggestions.

Also, I'm willing to go in "halves" with somebody else, so maybe the limit ought to be around 50K.

Any suggestions on what would be a great aircraft for these purposes? Pitfalls? Horror stories?

Yeah, I've already heard the "if it FFF, rent it..." adage. It's probably true, but I think I'll still take the plunge, so to speak.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
dream plane

last week someone showed me his glasair,it sure is a dream,he said he had 200,000 in it.looked now on the aopa classified-homebuilts and saw glasair at just over 40k,read about the rv family and looks that your numbers match them,many out there.

This depends on your ability,
I have a RV-4 for sale that has
the works...

Built in 98 with 829 hour TT.
403 of which are in the Twlight
Zone, I have 207 of those hours.

It's been a great airplane, but you have
to know your limitations in this plane.

It has a inverted fuel and oil system
and I know the guys that built it. I sugguest
to you, if you plan on such adventures,
you also know who built it, your life may
depend on it. I've been involved with 5 RV
projects,RV-3 and RV-4's; having owned 3 of
them; I'll tell you the biggest thing is keeping
current on them, as far as flying...

As an A&P I've never done more than a spark
plug or oil change, this I feel (in my opinon)keeps
you safe along with your aircraft.

Good luck in your find...

By the way, I'm asking only 49K for mine...

Jetsnake

For about $16.000 you can get a nice zero-engine, re-fab
1940's Taylorcraft , great little airplane, and it only
burns 3.5-4.0 gal/hr.
Good luck on your search!!

I have an RV-6 for sale.

Tail, ailerons, flaps are complete.

The wing is ready to be jigged and skinned.

Also has the beautiful Philiston spar.

No fuselage kit yet.

I have flown an RV twice, what a nice flying airplane.

If you can go partners in an RV, that would be a great airplane for fun and X-country (for 2).

Im not sure how much they are, but the airplane it sounds like you want is a Globe Swift, very neat airplanes.

As far as a Citabria goes, it will most likely dissapoint you as far as aerobatics, there are some 150HP ones out there, I have never flown one personally except the old 115 HP, but a great airplane non the less, it will make a good tailwheel pilot out of ya.

Decathalon, your talking big bucks for a nice one.

One of the most enjoyable tailwheel airplanes I have flown would be the SuperCub. I have about 400 hrs in them, some with the 180HP conversion, it would win hands down to alot of airplanes in that catagory, what a blast!!!!

Good luck

Try an:
Acrosport II
Starduster II
Skybolt.

All can be had for your price range. But heed Jetsnakes warning do your research before you buy homebuilt/exp. Join the EAA and hang out with the real ones ( the ones that do build) Also remember the other costs, hanger, insurance ect. Involve your wife and kids too. I think your doing a good thing by buying something to fly now and building later. This way you won't rush the RV-8 when you decide to build it. When you get fustrated while building you can just blast off and come back to the project refreshed.

Had I not been down graded I'd be in the same boat as you and would most likely go for the Skybolt. I had planned on getting one this summe,r flying and maintiaing it for a few years then build an RV-8. O well maybe in a few years.

Good Luck and have fun

Latest resources

Back