• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What is the Skywest Inc. Plan?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You make it seem like the mainlines aren't in a pickle, either, which is hardly true. They have limitations on where they can send their planes, and they also have to pick their fights. Just look at what's going on at SEA right now.

Let's get something straight. Inefficient doesn't mean "makes negative profit." Your CEO is clearly wanting to increase that $1.5 BILLION in profit. If the 50-seaters were losing money this whole time, they would've been dumped a long time ago.

And yet, Embraer, CSeries, and the RRJ programs seem to be doing JUST fine. (We'll leave Mitsu off the table for now, because that plane isn't flying yet.)

Then throw in new rules that affect the Regionals. In the past 10 years there were plenty of 250 hour wonders coming out of UND or wherever, and that helped feed the Regionals growth. Unlimited supply it seemed. Now, that is changing. Not only is it more expensive to go to those Universities or even do it privately (especially in a downturn), but the GOVT raised the requirements. 1500 min unless you go to an approved (expensive) facility, and even 800 hours isn't easy to get. Next throw in fatigue rules that hamper super efficiency, something Regionals and Major partners count on.

Indy had a lot of other problems besides competing with UA. In fact, competing with UA really WASN'T their problem; it was costs associated with a large, dormant fleet, and the costs and time it took to get the A320 on the certificate.

They were dismantled because they were both wholly owned, and thus easy targets. Yes, Delta was looking to reduce 50-seat lift after the contract was signed, BUT they couldn't just go to anyone and say, "Thou shall..." No, that would be a breach of contract. The 70-seat replacements was negotiated because DL couldn't bully around a contract. SKYW easily took those orphaned airplanes and put them somewhere else, where they're ALSO making a profit.

Keep? No. Leverage, yes.

How much of Delta's profits were from ancillary fees, though? How much of that was from the oil refinery? The 50 to 70 seat reduction had VERY little overall impact on that.

I still don't understand why UA cut those particular flights. Perhaps they weren't tthe biggest profit makers, but they were great connector flights for those who didn't want to bother driving to LAX, and many frequent flyers LOVED them.

Look what's happening in SEA right now you ask? You mean expansion? DL will add nonstops to Hong Kong, Seoul, and Heathrow shortly. The gate problem is being worked on by the airport authority, and the E170/CR9 connection flights are there to provide some feed opportunities that AK cannot provide due to their own planes being full. DL will do it themselves if AK can't. Sounds good to me. Additional mainline flights have been added too, like SEA to ANC.

No, it sounded on the conference calls that the 50 seaters weren't making money. Until the 717s came into the pic, the RJs were the only thing around to provide some feed. Now the 717s fly current 70/76 routes, the 70/76 seaters fly for outgoing 50 seaters. The RJ manufacturers wouldn't take the 50 seater back unless SOME 70/76 seaters were purchased, so overall it worked out well, primarily with 88 717s recapturing a lot of previous mainline routes, at mainline rates! I do see a trend with those 717s, though. They are moving 76 seaters around as they replace them, and even moving Compass E175s out West, with an eventual LAX base for those crews. That means certain carriers with the Majority of flights out West could get replaced. In other words, no feed is permanent I guess....

Did you say there are some bigger RJs out there, like the CSeries? Who will fly them? The scope clauses say mainline pilots. If SKW gets bigger RJs, the contract states they lose DL feed.. Only the "Frontier" grandfather clause remains, since Republic owned Frontier at the time. I don't see that changing. Again, higher profits means fewer concessions at the table.

And, ancillary fees are huge, and apparently not going away. People seem used to them. The debt has been paid down so fast that DL management decided to go for even more, and decrease debt by an additional $3 billion. It's a revenue machine.... Can SKW take advantage of that trend? Not really, DL, UA, AA, and US collect the fees while pax ride on you guys. Billions in extra revenue, all going to your legacy partners. That likely won't change either, or you would probably be replaced, and if you didn't like it, you could always try to be the next Indy Air...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Hahahahahaha that's rich !
As sky pest guts our contract.

Remember, he claims to be a dispatcher for SKW. He might not know what is exactly going on at Expressjet....

Bye Bye---General Lee

Look what's happening in SEA right now you ask? You mean expansion? DL will add nonstops to Hong Kong, Seoul, and Heathrow shortly. The gate problem is being worked on by the airport authority, and the E170/CR9 connection flights are there to provide some feed opportunities that AK cannot provide due to their own planes being full. DL will do it themselves if AK can't. Sounds good to me. Additional mainline flights have been added too, like SEA to ANC.

I'm glad you see only good coming from it, but it's only because you work for the agressor. How do you think AS feels? THAT is my point.

ainline routes, at mainline rates! I do see a trend with those 717s, though. They are moving 76 seaters around as they replace them, and even moving Compass E175s out West, with an eventual LAX base for those crews. That means certain carriers with the Majority of flights out West could get replaced. In other words, no feed is permanent I guess....

Moving the E175s to LAX is strictly a competative move against UA and Virgin. It has nothing to do with SKW. You should already be aware that DL has mixed up the hub/regional feed years ago anyway. This is not a new phenomenon.

Did you say there are some bigger RJs out there, like the CSeries? Who will fly them? The scope clauses say mainline pilots. If SKW gets bigger RJs, the contract states they lose DL feed.. Only the "Frontier" grandfather clause remains, since Republic owned Frontier at the time. I don't see that changing. Again, higher profits means fewer concessions at the table.

Again, myopic thinking based on what you currently have on paper. Only time will tell what happens.

And, ancillary fees are huge, and apparently not going away. People seem used to them. The debt has been paid down so fast that DL management decided to go for even more, and decrease debt by an additional $3 billion. It's a revenue machine.... Can SKW take advantage of that trend? Not really, DL, UA, AA, and US collect the fees while pax ride on you guys. Billions in extra revenue, all going to your legacy partners.

Yet earlier, you stated that upguaging 50 seaters to 70 seaters was the only reason that DL made $1.5 billion in that quarter, which is patently not true, and you knew it.

I'm glad you see only good coming from it, but it's only because you work for the agressor. How do you think AS feels? THAT is my point.

Moving the E175s to LAX is strictly a competative move against UA and Virgin. It has nothing to do with SKW. You should already be aware that DL has mixed up the hub/regional feed years ago anyway. This is not a new phenomenon.

Again, myopic thinking based on what you currently have on paper. Only time will tell what happens.

Yet earlier, you stated that upguaging 50 seaters to 70 seaters was the only reason that DL made $1.5 billion in that quarter, which is patently not true, and you knew it.

Well, I guess AK was also playing buddies with AA and EK, and some current "friend" may not have liked that. That's big business for you....

Switching planes around for the Regionals isn't new as of a couple years ago, but putting a Compass crew base in LA sure does. That makes a statement. And, it also shows 717s are starting move RJs around.

I don't think I stated up gauging 50s to 70/76s created the profit, ancillary fees on all fleets did. You need to look at the big picture, and that is mainline is growing, which is a good thing for DL pilots and Regional pilots wanting to get an interview.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Hahahahahaha that's rich !
As sky pest guts our contract.

Sure, I said "decent" and not amazing, "above average" and not the world's greatest. SAPA has turned down two proposals so far. And by SkyWest, I meant SkyWest Airlines. If I want to say Inc., I'll say SkyWest, Inc.

Last edited:
Remember, he claims to be a dispatcher for SKW. He might not know what is exactly going on at Expressjet

No, see, you just assume I'm talking about ExpressJet. Aaaaaand, I'm not. Couldn't care less about what's going on with that side of the house.

Last edited:
Sure, I said "decent" and not amazing, "above average" and not the world's greatest. SAPA has turned down two proposals so far. And by SkyWest, I meant SkyWest Airlines. If I want to say Inc., I'll say SkyWest, Inc.

What are their work rules?

Latest resources

Back